Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FCBD Hauls

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Default FCBD Hauls

I suppose this is broader than Marvel, but I don't think there's a good universal place to put it. Anyone get anything interesting for Free Comic Book Day? My local store has free comics, pizza, and some comics on sale for 50 cents. They were 25 cents last year, but, sadly, we've gone from 1974 to 1980 prices.

Given all that, I ended up with:

Free Marvel:
    Secret Empire/Spectacular Spider-Man - Enjoyed both these stories quite a bit. I liked the FCBD issue more than issue 1 for Secret Empire. Zdarsky is a good fit for Peter Parker.
    All-New Guardians of the Galaxy/The Defenders - I liked the ending of GOTG, but I didn't love it. Defenders has some beautiful art and some interesting surprises.

Free Other:
    I Hate Image - Haven't read it yet, but I skimmed it. Man Skottie Young is a crazy choice for a Mature Comic!
    DC SuperHero Girls
    Wonder Woman - Haven't read either of these, but I like the approach DC is taking this year in their selection.
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    2000 AD
    Catalyst Prime
    XO ManoWar

50 Cent Comics:
    Empress #2
    Empress #3
    Injection #1
    Injection #2
    Injection #3
    Legacy of Luther Strode #2
    Huck #1
    Captain America: Steve Rogers #9
    Captain America: Steve Rogers #10
    Ms. Marvel #14
    Ms. Marvel #15

Because I gotta support my local comic shop:
    Ms. Marvel #16
    Ms. Marvel #17

I also bought some old issues of Daredevil that I put away and don't have in front of me, but I recall #67 (now officially the oldest comic I own - featuring the one and only Stilt-Man!), #106 (trippy Steve Gerber issue), #215 (Denny O'Neil story involving a classic Marvel western character who is a lawyer with red hair named Matthew), #228 (part of Born Again), and #259 (Ann Nocenti and Typhoid Mary).

So what did you end up with?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

A few of the free comics, and 40 back issues of Generation X in a buy-5-get-5 deal (trying to replace my full collection I used to have).

For free books I got:

Secret Empire/Spectacular Spider-Man
    Star Trek: The Next Generation - Broken Mirror (this is the one I was looking forward to the most actually)
    Wonder Woman
    Rick and Morty
    Doctor Who

I also picked up the first volume of George Perez' Wonder Woman run (which will be my first actual Wonder Woman book, i've only read the character in team ups in other books so far), and a Game of Thrones Daenerys Funko Pop(though this is actually a mother's day gift for my mom).
    Last edited by Panfoot; 05-06-2017 at 03:56 PM.

If you live in Hull, UK, this was a bad day. We only have one comic book store - Amazing Fantasy. Last year, they gave everyone a bag of 12 comics. This year, it was 5. And that bag was all you got - it seems they only ordered THREE of the 50 books! The other two were 25 cent comics they must've over-ordered and needed to get rid of. Needless to say, I'm disappointed. It was my third year, and it's the first time I've missed one of the Marvel books. I also wanted the Doctor Who and Bongo (Simpsons) comics. Guess I'm waiting for digital on those two and GOTG/Defenders.

My haul was:
    • Secret Empire/Spectacular Spider-Man
    • Wonder Woman
    • I Hate Image
    • Walking Dead #163
    • Outcast #25

My haul was:
    Secret Empire FCBD
    Guardians of the Galaxy FCBD
    XO Manowar FCBD
    TMNT FCBD
    Doctor Who FCBD
    Wonder Woman FCBD

I wanted to buy the exclusive Gold Iron Fist POP, but, missed it by seconds...They didn't have a whole lot...

I got:

Wonder Woman
    Secret Empire
    Catalyst Prime

Help the CBLDF Defend Comics (very interesting selection of varied work)
    The Incal (an introduction. if the hype is true, I'll be looking for collections)
    Secret Empire/Spectacular Spider-Man (evidently this secret empire thing is gonna be big. who knew?)
    Star Trek: The Next Generation - Broken Mirror (mirror universe Tasha Yar, 'nuff said.)
    Wonder Woman (worth a try. I dropped the book after Azzarello and Chiang left)

My shop limited me to five books or the Bongo Simpsons book would have made the list.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Help the CBLDF Defend Comics (very interesting selection of varied work)
    What is that? I don't think I saw it!

The Incal (an introduction. if the hype is true, I'll be looking for collections)
    That looked interesting, but I had no idea what it was. Maybe I just confused it for Inca

Wonder Woman (worth a try. I dropped the book after Azzarello and Chiang left)
    After I started my first post, I read that. Not a bad story, although my view on origin stories is they're a little easy overall.

My shop limited me to five books or the Bongo Simpsons book would have made the list.
    Yeah, I technically went to two stores. The first limited me to five, but had free pizza and fifty cent comics. The other limited me to three, with more for each ten dollars spent so I got the Daredevil comics half off to get ten bucks.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Eh, and this is why I don't go to local comic book shops. I thought something was up, but the comic book shop said I could only pick up one FCB. One, I was like wtf?
    So I got secret empire of course, and purchased noble. But if I can find Noble on comixology, I'm going back to completely digital.

Woah, and I thought I got a bum deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    What is that? I don't think I saw it!
    http://cbldf.org/2017/05/celebrate-f...defend-comics/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    That looked interesting, but I had no idea what it was. Maybe I just confused it for Inca .
    It's a science fiction story by Jodorowsky and Moebius. The entire story was done over decades and makes up four collected volumes. The FCBD book was the first 26 pages. I saw moebius and wanted to get a look at it. Turns out that it's gotten some extraordinary reviews.

My LCS let us get one of everything.

At my local comic book store, they don't let you choose what comics you can pick up, they give out pre-packed bags of free comics instead. Because of this, I did not get everything I wanted. I got:

Secret Empire/Spectacular Spider-Man -It was a good issue but I am not sure if I like Zdarsky's voice for Peter.
    Wonder Woman - It was just a re-print of Wonder Woman #2 from DC Rebirth.
    DC Superhero Girls -I am clearly not this books intended audience.
    Betty and Veronica - This book was really weird, but I enjoyed it.
    Miraculous, Avatar, Briggs Land, Bad Machinery -Got them in my bag, but I did not read them.
    Last edited by KC; 05-08-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

^Wonder Woman #2, actually.

Wasn't that the gold book from DC? A reprint?