Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Do you mean in comics? Or as in film & television too?

Besides Ms. Marvel/Kamala (which Marvel is already doing) and Songbird (specially if rumors prove true and there is a Thunderbolts movie coming), I think the following could become quite successful... with the right approach.

- Hummingbird (Aracely Penalba): She has a very distinct and , unlike

-
    Editing....
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 06-05-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Invincible Member

I think Marvel missed a perfect opportunity to do a Jan Van Dyne solo. With trend of light hearted female lead books she could have fit right in. Plus she has enuff back story ( business person, fahion designer, deceased father, etc) that can be used to generate interesting plots.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think Marvel missed a perfect opportunity to do a Jan Van Dyne solo. With trend of light hearted female lead books she could have fit right in. Plus she has enuff back story ( business person, fahion designer, deceased father, etc) that can be used to generate interesting plots.
    I agree. I don't think there was any reason to create a new Wasp when the current Wasp is woefully underutilized.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    What would be the point to focus on Gamora more in GOTG and then have a counter argument about her working ONLY in a team setting?
    To build up stories that they can use in a future solo. Just jumping into a solo won't help as we saw with Storm. Wolverine was able to make the jump to solo in part because a few of the X-Men stories were about the mysteries of his past and the connection he had through out the MU. Build up the interest in the Guardians title and then spin it off into a solo.

Ultimate Member

Ms. Marvel, to tap into a younger audience / demographic than some of the more 'adult' characters.

Elsa Bloodstone, to cross over into horror / adventure, from straight up superhero fare.

Black Widow, already established and literally waiting for her moment.

I'd love to see people like Monica Rameau or Songbird, but I'm not sure that either of them would work as well as solo characters. I want to see a Nextwave movie, as absurd and over-the-top as the comic, if not more so, and that's where I'd want to first see Monica. I also would love to see a Thunderbolts treatment, with Songbird, but that's not as likely, since Marvel films tend to kill off any villains not named Loki (and Loki would be a terrible choice for a Thunderbolt). It also would make sense for Melissa to appear as a villain, before appearing as a Thunderbolt, to set it up, and I'm not really seeing a good place for her (perhaps as a secondary villain / henchperson to Klaw, in the Black Panther movie?).

Other decent female characters, like She-Hulk or Tigra or the Valkyrie, I'm not sure would be as generally marketable, and personal favorites like Snowbird, Moondragon or Finesse would never work as solo characters, or appeal to an audience larger than me.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I think Marvel could expand their magic/supernatural line with Enchantress and Scarlet Witch. Involving them with the Dr Strange title(add Jericho Drum in there too) would go along way to building a magic universe.

I don't think any solos would result immediately but it keeps them relevant.
    I think it would be a good idea, but for once, I would like that Marvel take a real risk and give the Enchantress a chance, it's hard for me to believe that a character like her from the first days of the publishing house (when it started to become known as Marvel ), they have never given her one.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I agree. She's got so much backstory that they could choose to go in any direction with her. But I would definitely approach it from the perspective of a business person.

Niffleheim

To build up stories that they can use in a future solo. Just jumping into a solo won't help as we saw with Storm. Wolverine was able to make the jump to solo in part because a few of the X-Men stories were about the mysteries of his past and the connection he had through out the MU. Build up the interest in the Guardians title and then spin it off into a solo.
    Duggan is doing that at the moment i hope it amounts to something and to be frank i don't really care about a solo i just want an arc or more centered on her like Medusa keeps on getting in the Inhuman franchise.

They can successfully push almost any character honestly, but my preferred character is of course:

Invisible Woman

There is still a lot of untapped potential with her. Shockingly, her personality is pretty much a blank slate for a writer to play around with and all that is definite is that she is nice, there is a lot more to explore. She's the only member of the F4 to not be given the chance to see how she does outside of the team. She also has pretty cool powers that are only limited by the writers imagination.
    There is also a story already set up and ripe for using with the agent of SHIELD thing, but there is also the opportunity for many more. With her history with the FF she is also no limited to just being on earth or even the same universe.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-05-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

If they start fleshing out Marvel's magic corner like they should've done ages ago, I could see Scarlet Witch becoming big.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    They can successfully push almost any character honestly, but my preferred character is of course:

Invisible Woman

There is still a lot of untapped potential with her. Shockingly, her personality is pretty much a blank slate for a writer to play around with all that is definite is that she is nice. She's the only member of the F4 to not be given the chance to see how she does outside of the team. She also has pretty cool powers that are only limited by the writers imagination.
    There is also a story already set up and ripe for using with the agent of SHIELD thing, but there is also the opportunity for many more. With her history with the FF she is also no limited to just being on earth or even the same universe.
    As a matter of speaking yes. Realistically, not sure about that.

Sue would be a hard push because like you said, they haven't done much to develop stories around her of late. I think a story about Sue returning to Battleworld take down Doom could be interesting.

They can successfully push almost any character honestly
    I largely agree with this.

Granted he's male, but I think Hawkeye is a good example of this. He's had a few solo outings and none of them were very successful. Then, Fraction's Hawkeye is a smash hit.

Often it isn't about WHO the character is... but about a writer having a great idea regarding how to present them.

As a matter of speaking yes. Realistically, not sure about that.

Sue would be a hard push because like you said, they haven't done much to develop stories around her of late. I think a story about Sue returning to Battleworld take down Doom could be interesting.
    Yeah some would be easier than others to push and nothing certain, but almost any character has the potential.

I think the key to pushing Sue would be to start off with a mini, too many characters are thrown into the deep end with a ongoing. A mini that introduces a potential supporting cast and new villains only for her would be the best start. It would have a clear objective and ending, which I find is stronger than just throwing characters into any scenario and seeing what sticks. It being advertised properly is important and if it's good hopefully people will get it, if successful there may be more books or even an ongoing later on. It's the long game, as a popular character isn't made overnight. It's been over 50 years and she is well overdue for at least a mini.

Also, this is not for her to be pushed as the "lead" female but just as a strong solo character.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-05-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Yeah some would be easier than others to push and nothing certain, but almost any character has the potential.

I think the key to pushing Sue would be to start off with a mini, too many characters are thrown into the deep end with a ongoing. A mini that introduces a potential supporting cast and new villains only for her would be the best start. Advertised properly and if it's good hopefully people will get it, if successful there may be more books or even an ongoing later on. It's the long game, as a popular character isn't made overnight. It's been over 50 years and she is well overdue for at least a mini.
    The bolded part exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    I agree. I don't think there was any reason to create a new Wasp when the current Wasp is woefully underutilized.
    When it comes to the why on creating Nadia, it's obviously a matter of synergy especially with her being Hank's daughter and her name literally translating to Hope. Now the part they messed up on if you ask me was pushing her into a solo so soon after her creation. That can be a very risky move that can easily backfire and judging by her sales, it's not going so hot.