Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Just be honest and say what you really mean. It pisses you off that Black people are willing to stand up for ourselves instead of meekly sitting down and keeping quiet. Then, when any of us speak out there are people like who show up to complain and whine about it. Yet you don't say anything about Asian/Latino representation otherwise. Nice job comparing Moonlight to Baywatch. I'm sure that a drama that also dealt with LGBT themes and working class life is just like a self-conscious parody of a cheesy 90s syndicated show. You not liking the movie doesn't say anything about the film's quality.
    Baywatch bombed for the same reason Jem, Chips and others failed.

It was in name ONLY. They took scripts and tossed a name of a property they ALREADY owned on it to save money.

If that film had the original cast or grandkids of the main cast-you would get a different result.

Does the black population think they deserve more than any other ethnic group?
    Yes. Because we are sick and tired of someone always having an issue with whatever we do. CONSTANTLY.

I don't see this constant complaints for other races.

Oscarsowhite comes from the fact if it's not a damn slave, white savior save the black folks, abusive black mother, white man making black women feel good or black maid neglecting their families for white girls movie-those who vote on nomination won't go see it. Yet we can see plenty of white films bathe in the water of nominations before they come out or 1-3 days before nomination deadlines.

And as the Oscars learned EXCLUDING POC is costly in advertising revenue. When POC are excluded they lose money. So now to get that money-they had to weed out those who cherry pick what they go see. Which is better for everybody.

If Black Panther is the kick starter for DC to start using POC and can get a movie where the character & actors are the same race-instead of faking it with Aquaman & Suicide Squad-more the better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    This is true... if you display the personal experiences of those ethnic groups as less than those of black people. From the experiences of some... their representation has to come AFTER black representaion. That is evident in Hollywood today. The key word is "after." Why should that be tolerated? Does the black population think they deserve more than any other ethnic group? I think some people do. Box office draw is a non-factor even if you include Dwayne Johnson whose Baywatch movie bombed. Very few actors are guaranteed box office draws in this day. Moonlight won best picture AFTER the whole "oscarsowhite" campaign. Coincidence... maybe but I like don't think so. I doubt that it would have won any other year. I am on the SAG nominating comittee... I didn't even consider it a "good" movie. Were the performances good? For the most part yes... the movie itself not so much.
    Of course there's some who believe their experience should be presented before anyone else, but those are the ones who primarily don't believe in intersectionalism. And Any group has those same beliefs, it isn't just limited to black people. They only care about their representation and screw anyone else. But that doesn't change the fact that one having one representation does not mean others have to be shifted to the side. As mentioned before, a lot of these people who claims "what about asians and hispanics" aren't doing so because they want more asian's and hispanics, they use it as a loop hole to say black representation is already too much and is trying to shut down the conversation. They don't actually care about the representation of Asians and Hispanics, they want less black representation. People who truly want diversity know that all representation can be brought up at the same time if people put the time and effort to do so. It's just that too few actually do it.

As for moonlight win, that's not even associated with this subject and speaks to your own viewpoint more than actual representation within the media.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Baywatch bombed for the same reason Jem, Chips and others failed.

It was in name ONLY. They took scripts and tossed a name of a property they ALREADY owned on it to save money.

If that film had the original cast or grandkids of the main cast-you would get a different result.
    I'll never understand why producers make comedies out of old television shows that were serious. Spoofing the genre they derive from is one thing, but remaking them that way is another. It shows a lack of respect, IMO - even if I could care less about the original, there are many who do.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Of course there's some who believe their experience should be presented before anyone else, but those are the ones who primarily don't believe in intersectionalism. And Any group has those same beliefs, it isn't just limited to black people. They only care about their representation and screw anyone else. But that doesn't change the fact that one having one representation does not mean others have to be shifted to the side. As mentioned before, a lot of these people who claims "what about asians and hispanics" aren't doing so because they want more asian's and hispanics, they use it as a loop hole to say black representation is already too much and is trying to shut down the conversation. They don't actually care about the representation of Asians and Hispanics, they want less black representation. People who truly want diversity know that all representation can be brought up at the same time if people put the time and effort to do so. It's just that too few actually do it.

As for moonlight win, that's not even associated with this subject and speaks to your own viewpoint more than actual representation within the media.
    Agreed. Most of the people that bring up Asian and Latino representation only when Black representation is being brought up seem to only do so to shut down talk about Black representation. I never see these people bring it up otherwise, only to push Black people down

And lol at complaining about Moonlight. If someone doesn't like it, that's cool. But don't blame people for fighting for representation. Pretty much all civil rights in this country was acquired through mass protests and people having the will to fight for what they believe in. Even MLK had a negative approval rating among White people till years after he died. So with that being said, I got no problem with Asians or Latinos fighting for representation (and I am Asian btw). Different groups pushing for representation is a good thing as that's been the only proven thing to work. As that poster said, 'Oscarssowhite' actually worked

And Moonlight is still better than 90% of the Oscar movies over the past 20 years or so. I mean you complaining about Moonlight when shit like 'A Beautiful Mind', 'Argo', and 'Million Dollar Baby' have won

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I'll never understand why producers make comedies out of old television shows that were serious. Spoofing the genre they derive from is one thing, but remaking them that way is another. It shows a lack of respect, IMO - even if I could care less about the original, there are many who do.
    Probably because 21 Jump Street managed to pull it off, so others want to cash in on that. Only they clearly don't understand WHY
    21 Jump Street
    worked, so they botch it with other properties.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Agreed. Most of the people that bring up Asian and Latino representation only when Black representation is being brought up seem to only do so to shut down talk about Black representation. I never see these people bring it up otherwise, only to push Black people down

And lol at complaining about Moonlight. If someone doesn't like it, that's cool. But don't blame people for fighting for representation. Pretty much all civil rights in this country was acquired through mass protests and people having the will to fight for what they believe in. Even MLK had a negative approval rating among White people till years after he died. So with that being said, I got no problem with Asians or Latinos fighting for representation (and I am Asian btw). Different groups pushing for representation is a good thing as that's been the only proven thing to work. As that poster said, 'Oscarssowhite' actually worked

And Moonlight is still better than 90% of the Oscar movies over the past 20 years or so. I mean you complaining about Moonlight when shit like 'A Beautiful Mind', 'Argo', and 'Million Dollar Baby' have won
    Totally agree, especially with the bolded part.

my only issue with this is that many people use diversity and the representation of black characters interchangeably. DC may be pushing some hispanic or asian characters but if they are doing a poor job of prompting their black characters the company is labeled as lacking diversity. of course i would love to see every ethnicity get proper representation. but representation should be more than just one race.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Probably because 21 Jump Street managed to pull it off, so others want to cash in on that. Only they clearly don't understand WHY
    21 Jump Street
    worked, so they botch it with other properties.
    Well y did it work?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    my only issue with this is that many people use diversity and the representation of black characters interchangeably. DC may be pushing some hispanic or asian characters but if they are doing a poor job of prompting their black characters the company is labeled as lacking diversity. of course i would love to see every ethnicity get proper representation. but representation should be more than just one race.
    That's because they're clearly lacking in diversity, just because you have representation with one section doesn't mean it's truly diverse. So they should be rightfully called out for their lacking areas. DC clearly has problems with their black characters. Marvel clearly has problems with Hispanic and LGBT characters. There's nothing wrong with pointing out constructive criticism and it doesn't mean it's interchangeably, it means there's an area that needs to be addressed. So again, the kid's point is definitely correct. All diversity needs to be brought up promptly, and those that try to manipulate wanting to see black characters by pushing them aside and say, where's the hispanic and asian characters, really need to look into the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Well y did it work?
    Well, for one, it was actually funny...

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Well y did it work?
    The concept of 21 Jump Street is kinda ridiculous and lends itself well to comedy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    \
    Yes. Because we are sick and tired of someone always having an issue with whatever we do. CONSTANTLY.
    The fact that some people like you think they deserve more than others is the source of the problem.

DC already had a movie come out with a black (and female) lead and it made a lot of money already and was well patroned by the African American community too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member

Exactly. Especially the bolded part.

Moonlight was a pretty powerful movie; much, much better than the garbage that's gotten Oscar awards in the past.

I've also noticed how people try to derail the arguments for POC representation by saying that other ethnicities deserve representation too. Which is a very valid argument but it's odd that it comes up only when the discussion is being made for greater black representation.

To be clear, the call for greater black and POC representation has nothing to do with modern day "SJW" arguments. Most other races simply don't know how it is to grow up as a black person that enjoys superhero comics or sci-fi entertainment. Generations of black people have been (and are still being told by some) that they're ugly, have no business in certain forms of entertainment or even sports (unless people want to pretend that the likes of Tiger Woods, Williams Sisters and Lewis Hamilton didn't encounter severe racism before they attained success) and are generally inferior. It's hard to live in a society where some people are constantly dismissing legitimate concerns that some black people have with their representation in pop culture or where black (or minority) heroes are called gimmicks (i'll never forget the Miles Morales and Kamala Khan controversy and the overt racism it drew from some people on these boards). To this day, lots of black children still prefer blue eyed, blonde haired Barbie dolls to black dolls. A lot of black children grow up wanting to be like Superman and Batman but eventually come to the sad realization that they don't have many prominent heroes that look like them (that's why the Miles Morales and Black Panther movies are very significant).

The Black Panther movie (based on what we've seen in the trailers) will surely kick down doors that have been closed for a long time. The movie is a sci-fi based superhero movie that celebrates African-ism, something that we've never seen in the mainstream (Afro-futurism has existed for decades now but surely a blockbuster movie will bring it into the mainstream). This is significant for black people worldwide. DC doesn't have a direct answer to Black Panther and that's fine, what they need to do is develop their existing black characters and give them a chance to thrive. Everything will fall into place eventually.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I think in many cases these were shows that even when they were popular, were not critically acclaimed and were even mocked by "serious" people. I think some of the producers think "instead of having people laff at it ironically, let's make it a comedy on purpose." Then when something like the cartoony Charlie Angels movies are a hit, other filmmakers feel this is the way to go with other properties.