Page 494 of 613 FirstFirst ... 394444484490491492493494495496497498504544594 ... LastLast
Results 7,396 to 7,410 of 9190
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    I mean from the very beginning. There was no need for the general public, even the sword's guards, to know she had the sword. They could've allowed for a clean swap and no one would've been the wiser. The fact that she went there with a replica goes to her having a contingency plan in case they rejected her request. Again, the whole thing was contrived.
    Even in the first few panels with her and Kitty she spoke with a pretty heavy heart about making tough choices and all that. I don't think Storm had any intention of waiting more than a few hours for T'Challa to return, no matter what the royal family said. What's even funnier is she's one of the 1st people at the summoning circle. All that impatience for what lol.

Are you all not making too much of the issue? They still very much love each other. T'Challa still let her go with the Sword and was adequately chastised for not paying attention to her on time. This is kind of the superheroic version of a tiff about taking out the trash. At this point Storm and the Black Panther are pretty much end game. But given that they cannot very well retire to have children and keep starring on their comics, we get this sort of thing. I think it was pretty well written, and I would say her relationship with Wakanda is even stronger after the issue.

But! This is not what I wanted to ask! In this issue N'Dare is drawn with white hair in her youth. I think that is a first. Do you think they are about to retcon something in Storm past? Maybe tying her dinasty to Apocalypse via Ashake/Genesis? Or maybe to the past of Wakanda?

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Even in the first few panels with her and Kitty she spoke with a pretty heavy heart about making tough choices and all that. I don't think Storm had any intention of waiting more than a few hours for T'Challa to return, no matter what the royal family said. What's even funnier is she's one of the 1st people at the summoning circle. All that impatience for what lol.
    yup she knew going in she was going to steal it that is why she had the bag with fake sword. how can anyone argue that this was a good look on her? imagine if tchalla had to steal something from krakoa to protect the world? xmen fans would have a fit.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    right. and btw do any of the other swords mentioned used by the ancient wakandans actually real?
    There are two weapon artifacts that I know of. The spear of Bashenga carried by Zuri during the Priest run. And the dagger that Tchalla and Shuri excahange with each other in Hickmans New Avengers. Also used to stab Namor.

I dont mind adding new toys to the chest, but this was wedged in while retconning at the same time. 10,000 years of history and they couldn't pick any random century except for the beginning?

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

right. and btw do any of the other swords mentioned used by the ancient wakandans actually real?
    A long time BP reader might now. But the scene with Ramonda and Shuri going through all of the legendary Wakandan swords they were willing to give Storm for the competition was heartbreaking to see. They were trying to do everything they could to help her. ****, Ramonda damn near pleaded with her to show patience and wait for T'Challa. Their level of kindness and love Ayala did acknowledge made it worse, especially when Ororo was really upset about T'Challa not making time for her. Honestly, at the end of the book, her being praised by her mutant family, she didn't seem the least bit upset about what she had done. I have no idea why people think that's such a great character moment for Ororo.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    A long time BP reader might now. But the scene with Ramonda and Shuri going through all of the legendary Wakandan swords they were willing to give Storm for the competition was heartbreaking to see. They were trying to do everything they could to help her. ****, Ramonda damn near pleaded with her to show patience and wait for T'Challa. Their level of kindness and love Ayala did acknowledge made it worse, especially when Ororo was really upset about T'Challa not making time for her. Honestly, at the end of the book, her being praised by her mutant family, she didn't seem the least bit upset about what she had done. I have no idea why people think that's such a great character moment for Ororo.
    chief actually made a great point. storm went into that mission not looking to be patient or diplomatic. she went in knowing she was going to steal that weapon which is why she had that bag with her. this on top of what you mentioned is simply not a good look on ororo. I cannot imagine how the reception would have been if the roles were reversed.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Mighty Member

Pretty sure the Spear shown is supposed to be bashenga. Especially since it's called the Nation maker.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    There are two weapon artifacts that I know of. The spear of Bashenga carried by Zuri during the Priest run. And the dagger that Tchalla and Shuri excahange with each other in Hickmans New Avengers. Also used to stab Namor.

I dont mind adding new toys to the chest, but this was wedged in while retconning at the same time. 10,000 years of history and they couldn't pick any random century except for the beginning?
    Especially since this sword is so much older than the conflict the X-Men are dealing with. Bashenga or whoever made this blade predates Amenth's invasion by millennia, what relation could it possibly have to Storm or Arrako? Unless there's some more lore to be added I'm just gonna say Vita wanted to make it seem more important than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Are you all not making too much of the issue? They still very much love each other. T'Challa still let her go with the Sword and was adequately chastised for not paying attention to her on time. This is kind of the superheroic version of a tiff about taking out the trash. At this point Storm and the Black Panther are pretty much end game. But given that they cannot very well retire to have children and keep starring on their comics, we get this sort of thing. I think it was pretty well written, and I would say her relationship with Wakanda is even stronger after the issue.

But! This is not what I wanted to ask! In this issue N'Dare is drawn with white hair in her youth. I think that is a first. Do you think they are about to retcon something in Storm past? Maybe tying her dinasty to Apocalypse via Ashake/Genesis? Or maybe to the past of Wakanda?
    I didn't see their relationship being stronger than ever with wakanda by the end of this issue. also, I think those who have issue with it are tryjng to reconcile the issue with 4 years of established continuity. there is also the added element that the xoffices appear to not being able to show interactions with black characters that don't hinge upon friction and conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post

thank you. new toys are nice when it isn't used solely as a method to destroy her connections outside the xmen.

The only other weapon I can recall off the top of my head is the Spear of Bashenga and the king's dagger. Never heard a word about a sword.

I didn't see their relationship being stronger than ever with wakanda by the end of this issue.
    Not her personal relationship with Wakanda, but the relationship of the character to Wakanda. I am optimist with this story and willing to see it playing out. She does say she will have to regain their trust.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    The X-office thrives on a perpetual victim narrative that's bolstered by their lack of willingness to incorporate non-mutant heroes into their stories. If T'Challa, Iron Man, or any hero were shown to be active in the pursuit of mutant justice it takes away from the notion that effectively every non-mutant hero is implicit in the suffering of mutants everywhere or are actively harboring anti-mutant views themselves.

So where in the Avengers office Storm's relationship with T'Challa is either ignored or put on a pedestal, the X-office sees it as something to be shown as an impediment to a "real" X-Man. A distraction or at worst a threat to the security of mutantkind. So T'Challa can't be shown as an active advocate for the mutant community, he needs to be aloof to mutant catastrophes and want his wife to completely divorce herself of those issues.

It's why a romance between them can never work in the end. T'Challa's mere existence as an X-Men ally threatens one of the core values of the modern X-office and many x-fans that have internalized that same complex. They'd sooner see Wakandans exterminating mutants than them actually standing alongside mutants as allies.

Which isn't even getting into the whole racial subtext of Storm embracing a black man as her lover, something that is certainly off-putting to a portion of the fanbase. For many Storm is post-racial, above blackness or African-ness and to see her expressing those roots, especially with a black man elicits the same kind of discomfort in some X-fans that fans of Beyonce got when she released "Formation" lol.
    ...what the what?

yup she knew going in she was going to steal it that is why she had the bag with fake sword. how can anyone argue that this was a good look on her? imagine if tchalla had to steal something from krakoa to protect the world? xmen fans would have a fit.
    I can imagine the outrage, they would have been crying for blood.

"Wakandans hate Krackoa blahblahblah...

Why are they stealing our stuff blahblahblah...

Can't take care of their own isht, always taking isht from us blahblahblah...

Using Storm to prop up BP blahblahblah..."

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Are you all not making too much of the issue? They still very much love each other. T'Challa still let her go with the Sword and was adequately chastised for not paying attention to her on time.
    adequately chastised? Dude is a king and leader of the Avengers. Maybe he had **** to do lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Maybe the X-Men should have gotten this guy and his sword. He looks pretty handy in a fight. I wouldn't try to steal it though.