Page 466 of 568 FirstFirst ... 366416456462463464465466467468469470476516566 ... LastLast
Results 6,976 to 6,990 of 8518
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The alien Green Lanterns have been ignored for couple of years now even the main ones. Salaak gets some lines here and there and Soranik had a major development lately but the rest end up as wallpaper.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think in all 35 issues of the current run, Kilowog has gotten about 2-3 lines in total.

Which kind of amazes me.
    Koliwog & Arisia should be part of the main cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Koliwog & Arisia should be part of the main cast.
    I agree....

Extraordinary Member

RV should ask Paul Levitz for pointers on how to juggle a large cast.

Incredible Member

I'm kind of new here so I'm not sure if it exist, but is there a green lantern alien thread? I would like to know more about them but I feel like it isn't fair if Stewart's appreciation thread turns into alien appreaciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I'm kind of new here so I'm not sure if it exist, but is there a green lantern alien thread? I would like to know more about them but I feel like it isn't fair if Stewart's appreciation thread turns into alien appreaciation.
    Hi welcome. You can either search and see if it exist or not. If not, then you can create an appreciation thread for those characters if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    There's this thread for general Corps/Emotional Spectrum Appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, I'd read pretty much everything GL related for decades, but the New 52 burned me out on most DC comics for a few years. It had a lot of promise, but it was completely squandered by editorial mismanagement and a fundamental lack of understanding of what made the DCU interesting to me. I had already quit GLCorps even before Van Jensen came on board. I think this was around the time that rumors about DC editorial wanting John Steward killed off were circulating. The GL line just exploded during the New 52 and most of it was mediocre at best. It wasn't until Rebirth that I started dipping my toe in the GL pool again, and I have been enjoying both books more or less.

I hadn't planned on revisiting anything from the New 52 era, but the potential for a 20 issue run of solid John Stewart comics with Chang's very Cully Hamner-esque art is too tempting to pass up.
    I do agree about the editorial mismanagement. Van Jensen's run is great. And there have been readers/GL fans who haven't really cared for John, due to his lack development during the Geoff Johns' era, but some of those same readers who didn't care about him liked him a lot and became more fond of the character, due to Van Jensen's run. Van Jensen done an incredible job to the character. He's one of the few writers, who I can trust in writing a John Stewart solo.

So I've been looking at this interview for Green Lantern Earth One by DenOfGeek.com who asked about John Stewart.

Here's the interview question:

Was there ever any temptation to make this book about another Green Lantern like John Stewart?

Hardman: We just wanted to go back to the Silver Age start of it, and that was Hal Jordan. We constructed this story around Hal Jordan and in a way it’s important that it be him. But that’s not to say those characters won’t come in. We never really talked about it. Dan Didio told us this can be anything. We did not have a mandate to use Hal. The particular story we’re telling felt like it needed to be him.

Bechko: Because we’re presenting things from a new go line, we figured something needed to be drawing from the old.

Hardman: Yeah, we could have introduced a new Green lantern entirely…

Bechko: But then everything would have to be different.

Can we assume the villain?

Hardman: Well, the Manhunters are the villains.

Well, that’s not who I assumed.
    I think this answers and confirms on DC's views for the reason of the lack of John Stewart solo adventures. Ethan Van Sciver pretty much mentioned this on this thread a while ago. It's upsetting and it's sad. The only reason why Simon and Jess gets their own book is due to those pitches coming directly from Geoff Johns (I need to find the link to that interview). So why can't DC solicit pitches SPECIFICALLY for John Stewart!? Too many writers these days are non John Stewart fans, who are white and prefer to write characters that matches their skin color (not saying that's racist or anything). Black diversity is still an issue at DC.

Interesting interview. I follow Gabriel Hardman on twitter and this guy certainly doesn't strike me as a company man, so when he says they weren't mandated by DC on what to do with the book, I'm sure he's not BS-ing. I'm glad to know there was no mandates. The creative team used Hal because they wanted to use Hal, not because they were told to use him. If anything, this shows they're given a certain amount of freedom and the fact that they were allowed to use whoever they wanted for a major book like this says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Interesting interview. I follow Gabriel Hardman on twitter and this guy certainly doesn't strike me as a company man, so when he says they weren't mandated by DC on what to do with the book, I'm sure he's not BS-ing. I'm glad to know there was no mandates. The creative team used Hal because they wanted to use Hal, not because they were told to use him. If anything, this shows they're given a certain amount of freedom and the fact that they were allowed to use whoever they wanted for a major book like this says a lot.
    Yea, Ethan Van Sciver already confirmed that on this thread. So it's nothing really that new. Van Sciver said editorial care less who the star character is for Green Lantern, as long as it's good quality and could sell well. If anything, this is more of a reconfirmation on what Van Sciver said a couple of years ago on this thread.

I personally don't like the responses, but I do appreciate their honesty in this interview. And glad that the interviewer asked about John Stewart. It's good to see these media outlets mentions John.

And I'm really getting tired of these Silver Age nostalgic responses. Pathetic excuses. This is also the same thing Ethan Van Sciver said on this thread as well on why John can never be front and center whenever he shares the book.

And even if John appears on the book, he'll probably just be a side character, which I have no interest in and won't support.

A lot of these writers has always been part of the problem on why John can't succeed.

Sorry for the rant

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yea, Ethan Van Sciver already confirmed that on this thread. So it's nothing really that new. Van Sciver said editorial care less who the star character is for Green Lantern, as long as it's good quality and could sell well. If anything, this is more of a reconfirmation on what Van Sciver said a couple of years ago on this thread.

I personally don't like the responses, but I do appreciate their honesty in this interview. And glad that the interviewer asked about John Stewart. It's good to see these media outlets mentions John.

And I'm really getting tired of these Silver Age nostalgic responses. Pathetic excuses. This is also the same thing Ethan Van Sciver said on this thread as well on why John can never be front and center whenever he shares the book.

And even if John appears on the book, he'll probably just be a side character, which I have no interest in and won't support.

A lot of these writers has always been part of the problem on why John can't succeed.

Sorry for the rant
    I feel the same. I've got part of the Van Jensen/Chang run(Nu52 GLC vol 4) and it was great. I don't know why they don't just give John Stewart the GLC book permanently and Hal be in GL.

There's got to be a compromise somewhere that they both can exist at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

Sorry for the rant
    It's fine, let it out. lol I don't think Hardman is a fanboy, so I'm not sure Silver Age nostalgia was a motivating factor, but he does mention in the interview that he worked on the Green Lantern movie, so maybe he is just more familiar with Hal's character and wanted to do him justice, unlike the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I feel the same. I've got part of the Van Jensen/Chang run(Nu52 GLC vol 4) and it was great. I don't know why they don't just give John Stewart the GLC book permanently and Hal be in GL.

There's got to be a compromise somewhere that they both can exist at the same time.
    They can here.

Amazing Member

I grew up watching the Justice League cartoon so John Stewart was my Green Lantern, just like how Wally was, still is, my Flash.

Extraordinary Member

The thing is, John is a silver age character. Folks keep acting like he debuted in the 1980s. No, that was just when it was decided to use him in a monthly title.

Nevermind that the 80's run showed the character could turn a profit.