Page 133 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2217

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    what things are being contradicted that you're specifically not a fan of?
    On top of my head:

-Her preferring to be in the lab rather than the throne (according to the solicits).

-Her unsure about taking up the leadership role while T’Challa is MIA (according to the solicits).

-Her demeanor in the previews (shown in previous pages) seem almost teenage-esque.

If this was about Pre-BP Shuri or was a reboot of some kind, then it would be one thing. The book, however, is about the same Shuri from previous stories that is currently a former Black Panther. There could be a good in-story reason for said things to occur, but historically Shuri never had an issue with assuming the leadership role. In this case it’s actually needed, as T’Challa has been MIA for some time.

I’m on “wait-and-see” concerning her being a tech-genius in the comics. Shuri has studied nuclear physics according to the Hudlin run and the BP movie made that aspect of Shuri virtually an inevitability in the comics. That said, will it supplant everything else about her? I guess we’ll find out soon.

I do like the new outfit and that the gauntlets have been intergrated into the comics. Also like that she more jovial than before. My concern is that said tendencies will be pushed to the maximum (essentially turning her into MCU Shuri, who was very jovial and for good reason), without some sort of an explanation.

I will give the book a shot and I hope it will be good. My expectations have def lowered, however.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 10-12-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Only on Disney XD!

Nice clip!

She actually tried to kick away the bomb lol, my goodness.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 10-12-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    On top of my head:

-Her preferring to be in the lab rather than the throne (according to the solicits).

-Her unsure about taking up the leadership role while T’Challa is MIA (according to the solicits).

-Her demeanor in the previews (shown in previous pages) seem almost teenage-esque.

If this was about Pre-BP Shuri or was a reboot of some kind, then it would be one thing. The book, however, is about the same Shuri from previous stories that is currently a former Black Panther. There could be a good in-story reason for said things to occur, but historically Shuri never had an issue with assuming the leadership role. In this case it’s actually needed, as T’Challa has been MIA for some time.

I’m on “wait-and-see” concerning her being a tech-genius in the comics. Shuri has studied nuclear physics according to the Hudlin run and the BP movie made that aspect of Shuri virtually an inevitability in the comics. That said, will it supplant everything else about her? I guess we’ll find out soon.

I do like the new outfit and that the gauntlets have been intergrated into the comics. Also like that she more jovial than before. My concern is that said tendencies will be pushed to the maximum (essentially turning her into MCU Shuri, who was very jovial and for good reason), without some sort of an explanation.

I will give the book a shot and I hope it will be good. My expectations have def lowered, however.
    from my recollection, Shuri's literal first panel appearance in the comics is trying to get in the ring to win the annual challenge to become black panther and ruler.

I wonder if that is getting retconned out. Evan already changed that fight recently (I don't remember shuri being there) so maybe this is finishing the retcon?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    from my recollection, Shuri's literal first panel appearance in the comics is trying to get in the ring to win the annual challenge to become black panther and ruler.

I wonder if that is getting retconned out. Evan already changed that fight recently (I don't remember shuri being there) so maybe this is finishing the retcon?
    It's entirely possible she's not interested in a leadership role NOW even if she was in the past. Getting the job might be the fastest way to get people to not want it. I think at times they have implied that T'Challa and his uncle were frankly happy to step away from the job... Shuri might fall into that category.

Given how her rule ended, I wouldn't entirely blame her if that were the case.

The preview looks decent. Shuri's personality has been strongly influenced by her MCU counterpart which is a bit concerning. I like the way Coates wrote her since becoming the Griot and while I don't mind some symmetry between the movie and the comics, Okorafor's Shuri almost seems like an AU Shuri. The art looks decent in some parts, but I don't like the way Shuri's face is drawn in some parts. Story-wise, I'm still interested and I like the romance between Shuri and Manifold.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

That’s a good point. Rise never touched on that, and one wouldn’t think that Shuri had no desire on becoming a BP based on that mini.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's entirely possible she's not interested in a leadership role NOW even if she was in the past. Getting the job might be the fastest way to get people to not want it. I think at times they have implied that T'Challa and his uncle were frankly happy to step away from the job... Shuri might fall into that category.

Given how her rule ended, I wouldn't entirely blame her if that were the case.
    Her not being interested in the job is fine, but this needs to be shown on panel. At no point has it been shown that she is no longer interested. What she did upon coming back is what she’s done before and what T’Challa did when she became Queen: acknowledge the ruler’s authority and support the ruler however she can.

Furthermore, this is an emergency situation. T’Challa is MIA and Wakanda needs a ruler. She is a monarch and it is expected of her to step up if anything were to happen to T’Challa. In fact, she’s without a doubt the most qualified to do the job in case of emergency, being that she not only is a former BP but just had the job not ago.

Shuri no longer wanting to become a BP can be a good plot point, but it must be done in-story with well-done reasons as to why she no longer desires it. It can’t be something readers have to assume. That would be bad storytelling.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 10-13-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

On top of my head:

ok all great points thank you. I'm gonna check it out too but just based upon the preview alone I wasnt sold but after you further analysis I'm even more concerned. I think mcu shuri is cool but she comes across as too silly for more taste and I dont think 616 shuri would behave as such. so I do agree with you there.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Her not being interested in the job is fine, but this needs to be shown on panel. At no point has it been shown that she is no longer interested. What she did upon coming back is what she’s done before and what T’Challa did when she became Queen: acknowledge the ruler’s authority and support the ruler however she can.

Furthermore, this is an emergency situation. T’Challa is MIA and Wakanda needs a ruler. She is a monarch and it is expected of her to step up if anything were to happen to T’Challa. In fact, she’s without a doubt the most qualified to do the job in case of emergency, being that she not only is a former BP but just had the job not ago.

Shuri no longer wanting to become a BP can be a good plot point, but it must be done in-story with well-done reasons as to why she no longer desires it. It can’t be something readers have to assume. That would be bad storytelling.
    Apparently we're being led to believe that neither T'Challa nor Shuri want to rule Wakanda.

Who's next.

The art... is Leonardo Romero isn't it?

I never really liked him, and usually I try to make an effort for brazilian artists, but I always thought his art was too childlike (don't know if that's the right term). Anyway, at least his work on Hawkeye was decent, but these preview pages just look really disappointing.

They should bring Marco Rudy at least for one issue. He is great with vibrant colors, and I think it would fit the book.
    Last edited by Tantalus; 10-13-2018 at 12:52 PM.

It MIGHT be shown on panel. In all fairness we're largely making these critcisms about stuff we're reading in solicits and previews. Maybe the actual book will spell things out better.

For what it's worth, I do agree that what we're seeing in the solicits and previews seems out of character with what we're seeing in the main book. Seems like movie synergy, which I'm honestly not a fan of. I fully expect me complaining about this more when the actual book comes out. There's a lot of red flags here.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It MIGHT be shown on panel. In all fairness we're largely making these critcisms about stuff we're reading in solicits and previews. Maybe the actual book will spell things out better.

For what it's worth, I do agree that what we're seeing in the solicits and previews seems out of character with what we're seeing in the main book. Seems like movie synergy, which I'm honestly not a fan of. I fully expect me complaining about this more when the actual book comes out. There's a lot of red flags here.
    Yes based on what was seen on panel. This is MCU Shuri and I doubt it's going to be addressed as to why she is so hesitant, I expect this to be another ugly Nakia situation except with Shuri