Just making up for lost time Majestic

They say that the eyes are the window to the soul...

A black militant, a black civil rights activist, a black conservative, a black liberal, a black christian, a black atheist, a rich black or a poor black will see this movie from whatever worldview their eyes have already accepted!

This movie is a first of it's kind and those viewing or those participating in the very creation of it will feel some type of way adjusted to their own life experiences!

Remember how long it took to finally come to fruition from Wesley Snipes attachment to it to the present day!

If Black Panther was like James Bond or Batman Chadwick Boseman would be like the sixth person to play T'challa giving you a range of actor's interpretations before him to draw from!

Unlike Sean Connery or Daniel Craig you don't have too many to compare with other than Black Panther cartoon voiceovers so James Bond has been adapted multiple times over multiple decades giving him numerous looks to contrast with!

From the writers to directors to actors to long awaiting fans one can expect a character of this type to draw out a long range of emotions of love and or hate!

Place this movie in the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's and the meaning of Black Panther will mean different things to each participant of the Wakandan experience!

At least we don't have to stomach flashing neon lights and "Bat Nipples" this century...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr6gACml4h0

Psychology 101- Why are many not drawn to Boseman's T'challa?

If you study Hollywood carefully you will see a long list of white male actors ready and eager to play the next rendition of Jesus, Batman, Spiderman, King Arthur and whatever hero action adventure script placed in front of them!

Despite the blatant racism this is actually more of a default action if you examine the industry as a whole run by confident white males paying their bills!

Unlike Blade or Spawn or Shaft for that matter the Black Panther covers more bases than a World Series grand slam!

The problem is not enough black creators create or believe themselves as the all encompassing hero like their white male counterparts do as an afterthought!

Coogler, Boseman and Michael B. Jordan are handed a project that had never before existed and must adapt on the spot to something very new with doubts that they would be allowed to finish the final project considering how long it took to get to this point!

America is the land of the free and the home of the brave and the residence of the make stuff up as you go along... As black folks we sometimes miss that nuance!

Spielberg, George Lucas and Stan Lee have no mental or psychological blocks like black men do when it comes to originating fresh characters without hesitancy!

When we as black creators free our minds of last year's nonsense we will have dozens of black actors that can slide into a King T'challa role with little or no problem like stepping to the free throw line and nailing the winning shot!

There is nothing wrong with Boseman's performance because if you were keeping score he had more feats than any other character it's just our eyes adjust to what we come to expect perhaps due to certain insecurities from our past experiences!

Catwoman, Lois Lane, Princess Leia and practically every other Bond Girl upstage the hero just by showing up and the Doras are nothing different get used to it!

King's, players and pimps don't talk much they just sit back and listen to everyone around them and act accordingly... It's in the job description!

Create don't hesitate...

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post

If you study Hollywood carefully you will see a long list of white male actors ready and eager to play the next rendition of Jesus, Batman, Spiderman, King Arthur and whatever hero action adventure script placed in front of them!

Despite the blatant racism this is actually more of a default action if you examine the industry as a whole run by confident white males paying their bills!

Unlike Blade or Spawn or Shaft for that matter the Black Panther covers more bases than a World Series grand slam!

The problem is not enough black creators create or believe themselves as the all encompassing hero like their white male counterparts do as an afterthought!

Coogler, Boseman and Michael B. Jordan are handed a project that had never before existed and must adapt on the spot to something very new with doubts that they would be allowed to finish the final project considering how long it took to get to this point!

America is the land of the free and the home of the brave and the residence of the make stuff up as you go along... As black folks we sometimes miss that nuance!

Spielberg, George Lucas and Stan Lee have no mental or psychological blocks like black men do when it comes to originating fresh characters without hesitancy!

When we as black creators free our minds of last year's nonsense we will have dozens of black actors that can slide into a King T'challa role with little or no problem like stepping to the free throw line and nailing the winning shot!

There is nothing wrong with Boseman's performance because if you were keeping score he had more feats than any other character it's just our eyes adjust to what we come to expect perhaps due to certain insecurities from our past experiences!

Catwoman, Lois Lane, Princess Leia and practically every other Bond Girl upstage the hero just by showing up and the Doras are nothing different get used to it!

King's, players and pimps don't talk much they just sit back and listen to everyone around them and act accordingly... It's in the job description!

Create don't hesitate...
    Roll on Flex, roll on.

Incredible Member

Create don't hesitate...
    Been saying something similar for over a decade....
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    I've been trying to find it but I swear I read an article WAY BACK where Coogler actually said he didn't like T'Challa that much when learning about him. It was to the effect Coogler thinking he is a bit too good. I remember being very concerned initially. I may be misremembering as well.

I stated this before that this movie could have been called "Wakanda." However after seeing three times I really feel that the movie was trying to establish the direction in which T'Challa will lead Wakanda.

You keep talking about how T'Challa was overshadowed but I feel like I'm hearing folks complain more about Wakanda being a country of coons and how Killmonger was right.
    Nope, that was never Coogler ever. Coates has said up abd down he didn't like Tchalla Because he felt he was shown as "awesome awesome awesome"

Coogler said as a kid he Loved reading BP and basically said this movie was for his 10yr old self.

Thing is people keep saying Tchalla was overshadowed or try to say that the movie is similar to Coates run but the truth is this.

Coogler did get inspiration from Coates run, but that inspiration was in terms of supporting cast. Coogler has done what Coates continues to fail to do. Make people care about the supporting cast abd develop them, while still making it clear that Tchalla is the focal point. Tchalla has the nost struggle in the movie because he had the most responsibility. Some Said they wanted him plans upon plans strategic mind going but then forget that when the movie starts. His dad literally died a week ago, he is becoming King and he hasn't had anytime to process nthe loss because he had been on a war path to get revenge.
    Then he becomes king and sees his father again, who tells him to surround himself with people he trusts. A day later he sees a guy wearing the Royal ring and learns that his uncle didn't disappear, but his father who he just Lost and is perfect in his eyes, killed him and abandoned his nephew alone is a foreign country, his own fresh and blood. Then said nephew shows up in Wakanda and challenges him, before he had any time to process any of it. However, in the end all things come back to T'Challa.

He stops then kidnapers, he defeats M'Baku (without embarrassing him and shows respect despite having every reason to want to embarrass him for insulting him infront of the tribes for his jabs) he Klaw, he saves Everyone from the grenade, and discovers who erik is, and is disgusted and starts on his own path to a different king, he saves Ross, he confronts his father and previous rulers and tells the they are all wrong and he is going to correct their sins and be better, he is the one to convince M'Baku to fight for Wakanda, he defeats Erik, and finally he is the one who decides to create then outreach program.

Who cares of some say Okoye is the greatest warrior in Wakanda, When that line was said it was when they Thought Tchalla, the greatest warrior, was dead. Who cares if there is a lot of praise for Nakia Shuri and Okoye,
    when has there been a movie where there are 3 black women kicking ass like they do in BP? That's why people are so excited. Abd who cares if people say kilmonger was right, because even though in sympathized with him, he let his rage consume him and despite have a valid complaint, he wasn't about looking for the betterment of Black people, he was clearly not caring about anything he said prior to the challenge given how he acted after becoming King. So no, kilmonger was wrong still he complaint though valid was an excuse to send the world into WW3 essentially

Create don't hesitate...

That is some heavy Truth bombs right there. Good stuff
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 03-03-2018 at 05:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    I got a free copy of Nation Under our Feet by Coates a while back. I tried a single issue of it when it first came out and thought it was boring. With my excitement over the movie bubbling over I decided to give it a second try and actually like it..a lot. It reads better in collected form I think. My question is to fans of the Coates run is are the other volumes pretty good too?
    I think it's the same - it's interesting, but reads better all together. I'm assuming you read the first trade, which is four issues?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I think it's the same - it's interesting, but reads better all together. I'm assuming you read the first trade, which is four issues?
    I think to some degree that's an inevitable outcome of stories that are designed to fit into trade form. Stories are almost designed to be read in one sitting.

That said, I do think his pacing bot a bit better with the second season. It still likely reads better in one sitting, but I think a lot of the single issues stand alone a bit better because the pacing improved a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Nope, that was never Coogler ever. Coates has said up abd down he didn't like Tchalla Because he felt he was shown as "awesome awesome awesome"

Coogler said as a kid he Loved reading BP and basically said this movie was for his 10yr old self.

Thing is people keep saying Tchalla was overshadowed or try to say that the movie is similar to Coates run but the truth is this.

Coogler did get inspiration from Coates run, but that inspiration was in terms of supporting cast. Coogler has done what Coates continues to fail to do. Make people care about the supporting cast abd develop them, while still making it clear that Tchalla is the focal point. Tchalla has the nost struggle in the movie because he had the most responsibility. Some Said they wanted him plans upon plans strategic mind going but then forget that when the movie starts. His dad literally died a week ago, he is becoming King and he hasn't had anytime to process nthe loss because he had been on a war path to get revenge.
    Then he becomes king and sees his father again, who tells him to surround himself with people he trusts. A day later he sees a guy wearing the Royal ring and learns that his uncle didn't disappear, but his father who he just Lost and is perfect in his eyes, killed him and abandoned his nephew alone is a foreign country, his own fresh and blood. Then said nephew shows up in Wakanda and challenges him, before he had any time to process any of it. However, in the end all things come back to T'Challa.

He stops then kidnapers, he defeats M'Baku (without embarrassing him and shows respect despite having every reason to want to embarrass him for insulting him infront of the tribes for his jabs) he Klaw, he saves Everyone from the grenade, and discovers who erik is, and is disgusted and starts on his own path to a different king, he saves Ross, he confronts his father and previous rulers and tells the they are all wrong and he is going to correct their sins and be better, he is the one to convince M'Baku to fight for Wakanda, he defeats Erik, and finally he is the one who decides to create then outreach program.

Who cares of some say Okoye is the greatest warrior in Wakanda, When that line was said it was when they Thought Tchalla, the greatest warrior, was dead. Who cares if there is a lot of praise for Nakia Shuri and Okoye,
    when has there been a movie where there are 3 black women kicking ass like they do in BP? That's why people are so excited. Abd who cares if people say kilmonger was right, because even though in sympathized with him, he let his rage consume him and despite have a valid complaint, he wasn't about looking for the betterment of Black people, he was clearly not caring about anything he said prior to the challenge given how he acted after becoming King. So no, kilmonger was wrong still he complaint though valid was an excuse to send the world into WW3 essentially
    Coogler did say that he didn't like him because he was rich, smart and strong or whatever. He said he preferred a character like batman because of his childhood trauma or something. Also whether he was dead or not I'm pretty sure people came away thinking okoye was a better fighter than T'Challa. She looked better in all of her fight scenes after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    Coogler did say that he didn't like him because he was rich, smart and strong or whatever. He said he preferred a character like batman because of his childhood trauma or something. Also whether he was dead or not I'm pretty sure people came away thinking okoye was a better fighter than T'Challa. She looked better in all of her fight scenes after all.
    I don't think people necessarily assumed she was a better fighter. I think most would assume the Black Panther was the best.

But I do agree that a good argument can be made that Okoye looked better. I don't think that was an intentional thing though.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Create don't hesitate...
    The reason T'Challa is not getting a strong reaction is because he, along with Nakia, is a weekly defined, and established, character. He's got no ambitions of his own, his values, beliefs, and personality are not clearly set in stone, and his impact on the story is only reactionary.

Killmonger carried the movie. If I'm honest, despite enjoying the movie, they should be saved Killmonger for the sequel, and used the first movie to establish Wakanda and T'Challa.

Basically, this is BP's TDK, but he needed a Batman Begins type of movie first. You've got to clearly define the hero's status quo, before you bring in a character that flips it on its head, and makes the hero question everything he knows.

Show flashbacks of training, show why T'Challa was allowed to be the BP before being king, show his position on the social, political, and economic climates of Wakanda, show what he thinks of Wakanda's history, show what drew him and Nakia to each other, etc.

In the movie, the audience is just expected to love him, just like the characters do, but we don't know what he's done to earn such affection.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 03-03-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    The reason T'Challa is not getting a strong reaction is because he, along with Nakia, is a weekly defined, and established, character. He's got no ambitions of his own, his values, beliefs, and personality are not clearly set in stone, and his impact on the story is only reactionary.

Killmonger carried the movie. If I'm honest, despite enjoying the movie, they should be saved Killmonger for the sequel, and used the first movie to establish Wakanda and T'Challa.
    If the idea is that Wakanda is going to open itself up to the world, then Killmonger is actually the perfect villain for that story narratively speaking. Wakanda turning a blind eye to the problems of the rest of the world (African in particular) has always been the elephant in the room, and Killmonger gives voice to that elephant.

To me I guess I just don't see the problem if the main character in the eyes of some are a little overshadowed by the villain or the supporting cast. It's not like it's a contest between them... they're all part of the same movie with the same goal of entertaining the viewers. If one character happens to connect with a viewer more than another, so be it. It's all a net gain for BP franchise either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    That's your opinion, not a fact.

And I always keep it real, on this thread I don't like Coates run and even then i would not say the consensus for this thread is that people don't like Coates because there are plenty that fo, it's more 50/50. If anything the person I heard the nost criticism was wkabi. However, I feel the entire cast was on point. There are those of us who saw the supporting cast done right with Tchalla as the focal point that he was and the one getting stuff done and there are those who saw it as him being overshadowed. We are all entitled to our opinion but don't try to act as though thats the consensus simply because you believe it to be true, because I have seen otherwise.
    Sure it's my opinion but when I see so many others that share the same opinion it's hard to overlook. The very fact that opinions like this exist in a larger quantity than expected should be concerning even to those that don't share it. Like all the MCU movies before it, this movie was supposed to build up anticipation for the main character's future appearance. Is he supposed to bring his whole cast with him in future avengers movie or will they go in his place instead? Will this lead to less focus on T'Challa in sequels even though, after being a plot device, he's in desperate need of it?

T'Challa is my favourite comicbook character and I felt there was something off by the end of the movie. Do you think those that didn't give a damn about him before the movie, give a damn about him now? His first movie and some folks are already calling for him to take even more of a backseat.

As I said, all eyes are on infinity war.
    Last edited by Pulp Fiction; 03-03-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If the idea is that Wakanda is going to open itself up to the world, then Killmonger is actually the perfect villain for that story narratively speaking. Wakanda turning a blind eye to the problems of the rest of the world (African in particular) has always been the elephant in the room, and Killmonger gives voice to that elephant.

To me I guess I just don't see the problem if the main character in the eyes of some are a little overshadowed by the villain or the supporting cast. It's not like it's a contest between them... they're all part of the same movie with the same goal of entertaining the viewers. If one character happens to connect with a viewer more than another, so be it. It's all a net gain for BP franchise either way.
    The story isn't the problem, it's that they rushed to it for the sake of Infinity War. That's why I don't care much for the MCU, or cinematic universes as a whole. You've gotta sacrifice the potential of one, so that it fits in, and doesn't overshadow the whole.

Basically, this is BP's TDK, but he needed a Batman Begins type of movie first. You've got to clearly define the hero's status quo, before you bring in a character that flips it on its head, and makes the hero question everything he knows.

Show flashbacks of training, show why T'Challa was allowed to be the BP before being king, show his position on the social, political, and economic climates of Wakanda, show what he thinks of Wakanda's history, show what drew him and Nakia to each other, etc.

In the movie, the audience is just expected to love him, just like the characters do, but we don't know what he's done to earn such affection.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    Coogler never stated this im not the one to bash
    People opinions but don't lie and pass it off as
    Fact..

When did coogler state any of this?