Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    It’s also been linked that Bats didn’t become a tech genius until the late end of Priest’s BP run, Priest himself even joked that he feels he’s owed a under the table royalty check for helping them upgrade Bats who has reversed on the “greatest detective” scale
    How much of a tech genius? Are they giving Bats credit for the tech or Lucius Fox?

From my reading, Fox is responsible for the majority of the tech stuff.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Quite a bit of new footage here:
    trying to stay away from as much footage as i can as to not spoil too much but the little I've seen looks really.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    I'm trying to stay on a media blackout in an attempt to go in as unspoiled as possible. but i cant help reading stuff every now and again. I read a thing where a guy saw a early preview, what he said that i found interesting was that the quip level was low. Lately I've not been enjoying the rapid fire jokes in the mcu movies. to me it sucks the seriousness out of the movie, so I'm thrilled having my suspicion confirmed by rumor that this movie was taken seriously

i am concerned t'challa's genius level is going to be toned down. i do recognize the popularity shuri is going to gain is a good thing, just concerned t'challa isn't going to be shown on stark and banner level genius

the hype level is insane. absolute tragedy publishing cant get it right. i haven't read the new spin off series yet though. I did buy two copies because i thought the movie variant was a movie tie in comic and about soiled myself in the comic store
    There's more than one way to show a characters intelligence though. I think in comics the short hand way of doing it is with inventions and tech, but there's no reason to think T'Challa won't come off as a genius even if Shuri is an inventor. T'Challa can still be shown as a tactical strategist, leader, and politician. There's more than one way to show that he's smart.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    I'm trying to stay on a media blackout in an attempt to go in as unspoiled as possible. but i cant help reading stuff every now and again. I read a thing where a guy saw a early preview, what he said that i found interesting was that the quip level was low. Lately I've not been enjoying the rapid fire jokes in the mcu movies. to me it sucks the seriousness out of the movie, so I'm thrilled having my suspicion confirmed by rumor that this movie was taken seriously

i am concerned t'challa's genius level is going to be toned down. i do recognize the popularity shuri is going to gain is a good thing, just concerned t'challa isn't going to be shown on stark and banner level genius

the hype level is insane. absolute tragedy publishing cant get it right. i haven't read the new spin off series yet though. I did buy two copies because i thought the movie variant was a movie tie in comic and about soiled myself in the comic store
    It should follow in the mold of Winter Soldier whose quips were low to negligible.

Invincible Member

When did Batman really start showing preptime for his enemies? With T'Challa, it's baked into his original appearance. With Batman, I recall some of the Adam West tv show having "gotcha!" moments, but nothing serious in the way of prep. Admittedly, I'm not as familiar with Batman's earlier stories.
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "prep time". As couple folks have already stated for the longest time time Batman was master detective/strategist and generally the smartest guy in the room but it didn't revolve around "prep time". To be fair, 60-80's T'Challa didn't do a ton of it either.

I'd say the climax of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns shows Batman doing "prep" the way we're used to seeing it and Grant Morrison and Mark Waid built on that in their JLA runs. Those things were more or less running concurrently with Preist BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    How much of a tech genius? Are they giving Bats credit for the tech or Lucius Fox?

Batman and Lucius might be a viable blue print for how they will handle Shuri and T'Challa. Lucius took care of supplying Batman his gear in the Dark Knight Trilogy, but Batman was obviously still smart.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Batman and Lucius might be a viable blue print for how they will handle Shuri and T'Challa. Lucius took care of supplying Batman his gear in the Dark Knight Trilogy, but Batman was obviously still smart.
    No doubt Bruce is a smart guy, not taking away from that. I just see more of Lucius developing the tech than him.

As far as how they plan on handling T'Challa and Shuri, it's simple. Both are super geniuses but Shuri spends more time dealing with tech and is lead scientist as T'Challa spends more time ruling and being a diplomatic. It takes nothing away from T'Challa and cements Shuri's role.

Quite a bit of new footage here:
    I honestly wouldn't mind the Dora uniforms in this being used in the comics or other media in general (which they probably will). They actually look pretty cool and stylish .

I almost kind of feel bad for those Dora's doing those cool posing against Killmonger because he's probably just going to tear through them in that suit...though maybe they'll still give a good showing.

Now would you guys take a crack at this...

Chadwick Boseman crowned "Most Popular U.S. Actor in China" — black talent does sell overseas
    https://shadowandact.com/chadwick-bo...ampaign=buffer

lol... So much for Blacks not doing well internationally. Man this film is debunking so many myths.

All-New Member

I have too agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeismoney View Post
    I have too agree with you.
    Bro, what's up? How you been?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    Now would you guys take a crack at this...

Chadwick Boseman crowned "Most Popular U.S. Actor in China" — black talent does sell overseas
    https://shadowandact.com/chadwick-bo...ampaign=buffer

lol... So much for Blacks not doing well internationally. Man this film is debunking so many myths.
    I hope so. How it does in China and Japan is, imo, the biggest question mark this film has.

New night, new review:

Jungle Action #9 - But Now the Spears Are Broken

New artist, Gil Kane, but Klaus Janson is still on inks. And he draws a pretty slick action sequence of T'Challa battling a Rino. Now why is T'Challa battling a Rhino? I have no idea. It almost seems like it was obligatory because the book is called "Jungle Action." However, the story sold the dangerousness of the beast, he looked good doing it, and he came off as someone worthy of being King by surprisingly remembering the names of the locals who were nearly trampled. The scene didn't add much except to have the locals scorn Monica and be ashamed of T'Challa for being with an outsider.

The next scene is a banquet. We see T'Challa, Zatama (who didn't die last issue, hooray), and the handmaiden Tanzika. Now I know the point of this scene and don't want to spoil it for people who are strangely deciding to use my reviews as a substitute for reading the issues. That being said, the set up is there, but subtly handled to the point that I wouldn't have known was I not looking for it. We also get to see more charater development. Tankika doesn't like Monkia, Zatama apparently hates everyone, especially W'Kabi.

Things shift in the back half of the story. The husband of the locals nearly trampled earlier was found murdered and, suddenly, there are zombies! Specifically, there is Baron Macabre and his Death Regiments. Death Regiments were mentioned two issues ago and appeared to be normal soldiers, which I thought showed some nice restraint. Apparently, that restraint is out the window. That being said, it's at least unsettling. They also do a good job name-dropping other future rogues - specifically King Cadaver. Also, apparently, T'Challa holds on while being strangled for five minutes! The main thing of note here that the narration talks about all this death. While it is doing it, we cut to another scene where someone murders Zatama. Oh, Zatama, we hardly knew ye. More importantly, Monica's fingerprints were found on the spear that did it!

I thought this issue was a step down. The opening scene felt tacked on and the zombies didn't do all that much for me. The most interesting thing was the palace intrigue, but that wasn't enough by itself. I should also say the title is a line in the issue. At one point, Zatama uses that line to tell T'Challa how he's losing control over everything. I thought that was a nice touch.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I hope so. How it does in China and Japan is, imo, the biggest question mark this film has.

New night, new review:

Jungle Action #9 - But Now the Spears Are Broken

New artist, Gil Kane, but Klaus Janson is still on inks. And he draws a pretty slick action sequence of T'Challa battling a Rino. Now why is T'Challa battling a Rhino? I have no idea. It almost seems like it was obligatory because the book is called "Jungle Action." However, the story sold the dangerousness of the beast, he looked good doing it, and he came off as someone worthy of being King by surprisingly remembering the names of the locals who were nearly trampled. The scene didn't add much except to have the locals scorn Monica and be ashamed of T'Challa for being with an outsider.

The next scene is a banquet. We see T'Challa, Zatama (who didn't die last issue, hooray), and the handmaiden Tanzika. Now I know the point of this scene and don't want to spoil it for people who are strangely deciding to use my reviews as a substitute for reading the issues. That being said, the set up is there, but subtly handled to the point that I wouldn't have known was I not looking for it. We also get to see more charater development. Tankika doesn't like Monkia, Zatama apparently hates everyone, especially W'Kabi.

Things shift in the back half of the story. The husband of the locals nearly trampled earlier was found murdered and, suddenly, there are zombies! Specifically, there is Baron Macabre and his Death Regiments. Death Regiments were mentioned two issues ago and appeared to be normal soldiers, which I thought showed some nice restraint. Apparently, that restraint is out the window. That being said, it's at least unsettling. They also do a good job name-dropping other future rogues - specifically King Cadaver. Also, apparently, T'Challa holds on while being strangled for five minutes! The main thing of note here that the narration talks about all this death. While it is doing it, we cut to another scene where someone murders Zatama. Oh, Zatama, we hardly knew ye. More importantly, Monica's fingerprints were found on the spear that did it!

I thought this issue was a step down. The opening scene felt tacked on and the zombies didn't do all that much for me. The most interesting thing was the palace intrigue, but that wasn't enough by itself. I should also say the title is a line in the issue. At one point, Zatama uses that line to tell T'Challa how he's losing control over everything. I thought that was a nice touch.
    I don'y think it's even a question mark this movie will do well overseas. All the marvel films basically did. It's just a question of how well. Best case scenario would be Civil War levels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

Both and I’ve noticed They’ve even reversed to add Fox as before it was just Bruce pulling up tech and then for a brief period they had Damian say he just finished one of Bruce’s designs during his “dead” period. There was a very long drought of tech marvels in any Batcomic until T’Challa shows up with Kimyo Cards and anti gravity rocket boots.

Fox didn’t start getting nods again until Nowlan’s trilogy and even then it was “HEY YOU KNOW FOX HAS A HOT DAUGHTER!?!? FOXY!!!!”
    Last edited by Smoov-E; 01-12-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Both and I’ve noticed They’ve even reversed to add Fox as before it was just Bruce pulling up tech and then for a brief period they had Damian say he just finished one of Bruce’s designs during his “dead” period. There was a very long drought of tech marvels in any Batcomic until T’Challa shows up with Kimyo Cards and anti gravity rocket boots.

Fox didn’t start getting nods again until Nowlan’s trilogy and even then it was “HEY YOU KNOW FOX HAS A HOT DAUGHTER!?!? FOXY!!!!”
    From what I understand Bruce is the second smartest person on his earth (the first being Lex). But despite that, tech really isn't a HUGE aspect of the character. And I think that's what people need to remember about T'Challa IF he ends up not being a tech guy (and he still MIGHT... just because it's Shuri's thing doesn't mean he's not good at it too). Point being there are a lot of ways to convey intelligence. Batman does that all the time, even when he often does rely on his support crew for tech.