Page 151 of 166 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 2482
    Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

https://news.marvel.com/comics/89958...his-september/

There ya go!!! Jubilee makes a cute cameo at the end of issue 1... hopefully for more of a role later I’m assuming.

Three question to Jubilee fans

Why did she adopted Shogo?

What do you think about the idea of her basically being a single mother?

Did Logan commented anything about it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post

1) Because she wanted to.

2) I'm cool with it.

3) He was also cool with it.

- She saved him from the wreckage of a collapsed building after a meteor strike in Budapest, and formed a profound bond with him.

- I was a bit iffy at first, but the concept has grown on me.

- Logan was really proud of her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    1) Because she wanted to.

2) I'm cool with it.

3) He was also cool with it.
    I was a bit flippant here so I thought I'd write a few more words on it, particularly as concerns question #2. And here goes: I think it's one of the best and most fitting developments they could come up with when creating a more grown-up persona for Jubilee.

Now, here's where I'm going to get into some thematic stuff. The thing with Jubilee is that the idea of the search for a home and family is a big thing with the character. And by big thing I mean, consistent theme and major motivator. Jubilee doesn't necessarily follow the formula we'd normally expect for young mutants. That formula usually goes: Teenager has normal life, teenager discovers mutant powers which turn her life upside down, Xavier comes and recruits young mutant, young mutant finds she's part of a new family that accepts her. With Jubilee it's different, though. When we first meet her she's living in a shopping mall giving fireworks shows for money and dodging security guards like she's in some weird 1980s version of the "One Jump Ahead" sequence from Disney's Aladdin. And a quick look at the 1989 Marvel Handbook explains her backstory and you discover that the inciting incident that destroys her sense of normalcy is the loss of her parents in what seemed to be a random traffic accident. Yeah, her powers are hard to control, but she finds that out later, well after she's already turned them into an asset. So, those are some of her driving forces. The need for home and family and the feeling of abandonment that she felt when her folks died. Then she found the X-Men and had a new family. And that continued for a while until it reached a turning point right before the formation of Generation X. At that point, with the death of Illyana, Collosus's defection and Logan's injuries at the hands of Magneto, Jubilee started to notice how vulnerable her family of rescuers is and she realizes that there's very little she can do to help them in return. So, she goes off to train. Then things kind of go in a few different directions. Plus, with the X-Men being the way they are, you can't really leave the X-Men and then just come back and expect to be a major member of the team after being a minor member of the team. Especially if the team already changed without you. So, what her adopting Shogo does is it takes that theme of "found family" and pays it forward. She can't suddenly become a major X-Man and lynchpin to her surrogate family, but she can be the center of Shogo's world. And it puts her in a situation in which someone is relying on her completely when it used to be the case that she needed everyone else a lot more than they needed her. It may not be any kind of story fuel (after all, there are only so many "kidnapped baby" stories as a person can stand) but it does serve to establish a more grown-up version of the character within themes that have been part of her since the beginning.

And now that I've bored all of you, thank you for reading.
    Last edited by AdamFTF; 06-16-2018 at 09:41 AM.

I was a bit flippant here so I thought I'd write a few more words on it, particularly as concerns question #2. And here goes: I think it's one of the best and most fitting developments they could come up with when creating a more grown-up persona for Jubilee.

Now, here's where I'm going to get into some thematic stuff. The thing with Jubilee is that the idea of the search for a home and family is a big thing with the character. And by big thing I mean, consistent theme and major motivator. Jubilee doesn't necessarily follow the formula we'd normally expect for young mutants. That formula usually goes: Teenager has normal life, teenager discovers mutant powers which turn her life upside down, Xavier comes and recruits young mutant, young mutant finds she's part of a new family that accepts her. With Jubilee it's different, though. When we first meet her she's living in a shopping mall giving fireworks shows for money and dodging security guards like she's in some weird 1980s version of the "One Jump Ahead" sequence from Disney's Aladdin. And a quick look at the 1989 Marvel Handbook explains her backstory and you discover that the inciting incident that destroys her sense of normalcy is the loss of her parents in what seemed to be a random traffic accident. Yeah, her powers are hard to control, but she finds that out later, well after she's already turned them into an asset. So, those are some of her driving forces. The need for home and family and the feeling of abandonment that she felt when her folks died. Then she found the X-Men and had a new family. And that continued for a while until it reached a turning point right before the formation of Generation X. At that point, with the death of Illyana, Collosus's defection and Logan's injuries at the hands of Magneto, Jubilee started to notice how vulnerable her family of rescuers is and she realizes that there's very little she can do to help them in return. So, she goes off to train. Then things kind of go in a few different directions. Plus, with the X-Men being the way they are, you can't really leave the X-Men and then just come back and expect to be a major member of the team after being a minor member of the team. Especially if the team already changed without you. So, what her adopting Shogo does is it takes that theme of "found family" and pays it forward. She can't suddenly become a major X-Man and lynchpin to her surrogate family, but she can be the center of Shogo's world. And it puts her in a situation in which someone is relying on her completely when it used to be the case that she needed everyone else a lot more than she needed them. It may not be any kind of story fuel (after all, there are only so many "kidnapped baby" stories as a person can stand) but it does serve to establish a more grown-up version of the character within themes that have been part of her since the beginning.

Damm, suddenly i had this weird urgency to read more about Jubilee, maybe i had to give Generation X a look .

Now, here's where I'm going to get into some thematic stuff. The thing with Jubilee is that the idea of the search for a home and family is a big thing with the character. And by big thing I mean, consistent theme and major motivator. Jubilee doesn't necessarily follow the formula we'd normally expect for young mutants. That formula usually goes: Teenager has normal life, teenager discovers mutant powers which turn her life upside down, Xavier comes and recruits young mutant, young mutant finds she's part of a new family that accepts her. With Jubilee it's different, though. When we first meet her she's living in a shopping mall giving fireworks shows for money and dodging security guards like she's in some weird 1980s version of the "One Jump Ahead" sequence from Disney's Aladdin. And a quick look at the 1989 Marvel Handbook explains her backstory and you discover that the inciting incident that destroys her sense of normalcy is the loss of her parents in what seemed to be a random traffic accident. Yeah, her powers are hard to control, but she finds that out later, well after she's already turned them into an asset. So, those are some of her driving forces. The need for home and family and the feeling of abandonment that she felt when her folks died. Then she found the X-Men and had a new family. And that continued for a while until it reached a turning point right before the formation of Generation X. At that point, with the death of Illyana, Collosus's defection and Logan's injuries at the hands of Magneto, Jubilee started to notice how vulnerable her family of rescuers is and she realizes that there's very little she can do to help them in return. So, she goes off to train. Then things kind of go in a few different directions. Plus, with the X-Men being the way they are, you can't really leave the X-Men and then just come back and expect to be a major member of the team after being a minor member of the team. Especially if the team already changed without you. So, what her adopting Shogo does is it takes that theme of "found family" and pays it forward. She can't suddenly become a major X-Man and lynchpin to her surrogate family, but she can be the center of Shogo's world. And it puts her in a situation in which someone is relying on her completely when it used to be the case that she needed everyone else a lot more than she needed them. It may not be any kind of story fuel (after all, there are only so many "kidnapped baby" stories as a person can stand) but it does serve to establish a more grown-up version of the character within themes that have been part of her since the beginning.

Great summary, spot on.

Damm, suddenly i had this weird urgency to read more about Jubilee, maybe i had to give Generation X a look .
    I'm most of the way through Generation X, and it is as great as you've likely heard, plus Jubilee is a consistent highlight in it. I was cackling during an issue I recently read where she just never removed her headphones for the entirety of it, waking up with them on, wearing them in class, during conversations etc etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    Great summary, spot on.

I'm most of the way through Generation X, and it is as great as you've likely heard, plus Jubilee is a consistent highlight in it. I was cackling during an issue I recently read where she just never removed her headphones for the entirety of it, waking up with them on, wearing them in class, during conversations etc etc.
    Thank you all. You are too kind.

Please check out my next lecture on the subject of Jubilation Studies: "Hey, whatever happened to Jubilee's attitude?: Jubilation Lee's reinterpretation as a source of optimism in contrast to her early depictions as kind of a sarcastic, cynical complainer."

Thank you all. You are too kind.

Please check out my next lecture on the subject of Jubilation Studies: "Hey, whatever happened to Jubilee's attitude?: Jubilation Lee's reinterpretation as a source of optimism in contrast to her early depictions as kind of a sarcastic, cynical complainer."
    Addendum lecture: “Jubilee’s Seemingly Indestructible Yellow Coat - Is it a secret mutant character with its own healing factor?”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Addendum lecture: “Jubilee’s Seemingly Indestructible Yellow Coat - Is it a secret mutant character with its own healing factor?”
    Ooh! Interesting! I'd love to look over your notes on the subject. Do unstable molecules come into play? Could it perhaps be some benign mutant form of the symbiotes from Spider-Man? Like how Warlock is considered a mutant technarch just because he shows a tendency toward pacifism?

As for my own proposed (joke) lecture. I could probably just sum it up with some Cliffs Notes:
    1) People confuse character tone with character outlook. Early Jubilee was a light character with a negative outlook.
    2) Characters often change into what we need them to be. In this case, a source of light.
    3) She really does seem like an optimist compared to newer young characters like X-23 and Quentin Quire. I mean, think about it.

I actually wouldn't mind her still showing off some of the old 'tude from time to time. It has the potential to make her personality seem more layered.

Could it perhaps be some benign mutant form of the symbiotes from Spider-Man?
    My (joke) theory in a nutshell.

My (joke) theory in a nutshell.
    Your scientific base is solid (), but how she came into possesion of such creature .

Your scientific base is solid (), but how she came into possesion of such creature .
    If memory serves (and I’m sure someone here will correct me if not) she got it in a little shop in Madripoor way back when she, Logan and Psylocke were kicking around there. And Madripoor’s a very weird place.

If memory serves (and I’m sure someone here will correct me if not) she got it in a little shop in Madripoor way back when she, Logan and Psylocke were kicking around there. And Madripoor’s a very weird place.
    Man, Logan should learn to not take kids to work, is just going to give him white hair faster . This is what happen when tries to be the cool uncle of the family.

Astonishing Member

Okay, so I'm imagining it going like this. She's shopping in Madripoor, she finds the symbiote/coat and then it kind of whispers in her ear "Hey, why not dress like Robin if he had to put together his costume from stuff at Goodwill?"
    Jubilee-Robin.jpg

Anyway, since we're talking clothes, who thinks Jubilee could use a new costume? [Rasies Hand]