View Poll Results: Do you think Emma has become an iconic member of the x-men?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

170 67.73%
  • no

81 32.27%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    Wasn't New X-Men kinda regarded as an X-Men team though?

Also, thanks for the synopsis on Emma in GenX. People indeed painted her as some gracious character when she was still a killer. (Her sister for her wealth and a police officer? Really?) Shes kinda the catalyst of X-villains joining the X-Men yet never really changing. Magneto, Mystique, Sabretooth. Emma is Iconic for villainy in the X-Men I guess.
    She never killed a cop. Yoga just hates her and misconstrues what happened. As for her sister, that was already after she had killed one of the students.

Yes. Lawd jesus i dont like her but i can atleast admit it
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

BANNED

She's subhuman trash.

Never forget

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    She's subhuman trash.

Never forget

I am screaming XD. Why are you like this omg
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

No, I don't, though I like the character.

I think she was pushed via the Cyclops story. I do, however, think she's a fairly iconic villain for the franchise.

Everyone has their own definition of "iconic" but mine is a character that has name recognition outside of the comic fanbase. That's only a handful of X-Men characters, and I wouldn't include Emma. Basically, it's the characters that have multiple significant appearances in movies, animated shows, and video games and were most prominent when the X-Men hit their popularity peak in the 90s. I'd put on that list Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Prof. X, and Magneto. Rogue and Beast (and maybe Gambit) are a toss-up. Mystique and Deadpool have probably achieved iconic status more recently because of the movies.
    Last edited by nightw1ng; 02-27-2018 at 09:46 PM.

She's subhuman trash.

Never forget

Everyone keeps referencing this freaking horse and I still have no idea what that’s about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Everyone keeps referencing this freaking horse and I still have no idea what that’s about.
    His name was Butter Rum. He was a good boy. Emma murdered him.

Such an icon.

His name was Butter Rum. He was a good boy. Emma murdered him.

Such an icon.
    Ok, but what were the circumstances? Did he break a leg? Was she out of glue? What happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Ok, but what were the circumstances? Did he break a leg? Was she out of glue? What happened?
    Firestar #2 (1986)

Emma is grooming Firestar into an assassin. Emma puts her under grueling training and mental conditioning, isolates her from her father, and murders Butter Rum(Angelica's only companion).

Unfortunately, modern fans have been duped into thinking Emma is capable of redemption.

Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 02-27-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    Wasn't New X-Men kinda regarded as an X-Men team though?

Also, thanks for the synopsis on Emma in GenX. People indeed painted her as some gracious character when she was still a killer. (Her sister for her wealth and a police officer? Really?) Shes kinda the catalyst of X-villains joining the X-Men yet never really changing. Magneto, Mystique, Sabretooth. Emma is Iconic for villainy in the X-Men I guess.
    New X-Men for X-23 and the kids could be considered an "X-Men" book just like X-Force and X-Factor, New Mutants and Generation X are, but they are different. That New X-Men was obviously the kids team(New Mutants) rebranded with the stronger name, but sure. It was technically an X-Men book.

As for the bold, I mean, basically. The X-Men lost any nobility/inherent heroic qualities that were integral to the Claremont run(and well into the 90's) in the modern age(Morrison and beyond), and Emma was certainly a part of that(but so was the vilification of Xavier, and the general anti-hero/deconstructionism/moral relativism themes that have become so enamored in pop culture) .
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    She never killed a cop. Yoga just hates her and misconstrues what happened. As for her sister, that was already after she had killed one of the students.
    Do I have to pull out the scans? Monet said she thinks she killed him(as Emma grimaces menacingly at her), and he did fall face-first into a glass table that shattered and he just fell in a heap on the floor as Emma picked his pockets. I mean, I'm not making this up. He was never followed through with, but the implication was that Emma killed him and she does flee the country after that.

And for the record, Emma called in Adrienne into the school because she lost a bunch of money on the stock market and tried to flex her ego to Sean by not just making new investors give her money, by going to Adrienne in the first place. Emma allowed Adrienne full administrative privileges, and Adrienne reopened the Mass Academy to human students too, forcing the Gen X into hiding in their own school, where they were bullied until the human students were whipped up into an anti-mutant frenzy and eventually the human students' parents came to get take them out of the school en mass when it was discovered there were mutant there. It was then that Adrienne planted bombs, on one of which noble Synch threw himself over to take the hit for other students(with Monet's invulnerability just out of range of his aura). Emma is ultimately responsible for that, and Monet has never been the same since. It destroyed the team, Sean and Emma, and eventually the remaining kids just ran away, afraid of Emma. It's all in the books.

I don't 'hate' Emma. I just find her to be morally reprehensible(having read her entire story from Claremont to the modern day), and not a hero. She's a fantastic villain. Most of the Morrison-modern Emma fans didn't grow up with the old stories, and they dismiss them as irrelevant so long as they can have their vapid, bitchy, "Mama" strutting around giving people aneurysms for fun.

She's subhuman trash.

Never forget

Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    No, I don't, though I like the character.

I think she was pushed via the Cyclops story. I do, however, think she's a fairly iconic villain for the franchise.
    Exactly. She's a fascinating character, but ultimately selfish and cruel, like Cersei Lannister from Game of Thrones. Not a hero.

BANNED

Emma is one of the many villains turned heroes. Unlike many villains turned heroes nobody outside of rogue has proven their heroic status like Emma.