Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Can the Falcon work as the new Captain America and wouldn't it take away what he became as his own ?

I mean I'm not trying to downplay the idea, but if I just saw the Falcon in the Winter Solider Movie and I wish to know more about him beyond the reprinted comics. Wouldn't it be better if the Falcon had his own On-going instead of replacing Captain America ?

I mean I can sort of understand why they place Sam under the Shield, but doesn't it take away what made him his own hero in the first place as the Falcon ?

I mean what's wrong with pushing more adventures of the Falcon as a solo hero act besides low sales and interest in the hero ?

As fans of the FALCON the hero, I ask you this question ?

I guess you would have to ask yourself this question:

Do I want to know Sam or do I want to know the Falcon. Sam is and should be same regardless of what costume he wears. Whose to say he wouldn't bring his own brand of ideology to the mantle? The thing is, they would have to show that there are differences between Sam's approach and Steve approach to being Captain America.

BANNED

To me, the comicbook character Sam Wilson is no longer his 'own' man.
    I view the comicbook characters Carol Danvers, Kamala Khan and Miles Morales in the same way.

I did view Monica Rambeau as her 'own' lady because previously there had been Captain Mar-Vell anglecized to Captain Marvel
    Photon? Pulsar? Spectrum? All 3 godawful!!!!
    Sharon Ventura never got her own series thank God!
    No problem with Jack Monroe though. He did become his 'own' man with Nomad.
    James Rhodes became his 'own' man ; War Machine!
    James Buchanan Barnes is his 'own' man ; Winter Soldier! His previous 'own' man was awful!

Virgil Ovid Hawkins is a comicbook character who is his 'own' man ; STATIC SHOCK!
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 01-11-2015 at 10:17 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I guess you would have to ask yourself this question:

Do I want to know Sam or do I want to know the Falcon. Sam is and should be same regardless of what costume he wears. Whose to say he wouldn't bring his own brand of ideology to the mantle? The thing is, they would have to show that there are differences between Sam's approach and Steve approach to being Captain America.
    I always viewed Sam as the Falcon and saw him become his own hero through the Falcon.

Just seeing him being the new Cap takes away what made him partly special in the first place as an urban street patrolling superhero.

BANNED

If Bucky can pick up the mantle for a little bit, no reason why Falcon can't. He's been closer to Cap for much longer than Bucky was back in the day.

It's also a nice way to get him attention. Especially since he's still flying around as the new Cap. So he's still familiar for when he reverts to Falcon. And if he's popular enough afterward, he'll get an ongoing just like Winter Soldier did.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I always viewed Sam as the Falcon and saw him become his own hero through the Falcon.

Just seeing him being the new Cap takes away what made him partly special in the first place as an urban street patrolling superhero.
    The thing is the majority of Falcon's solo and team up with other heroes stories are not in trade. Hard to build up a guy when no one can read solo stories about him. Same issue with Cyborg, John Stewart and others.

Aside from Miles-very few POC have their stories reprinted. Miles is the only POC to have all his stories in trades.

I would probably say Falcon as Capt was probably the only way Marvel could have a legit way to test solo stories with Falcon and ensure trades with these stories actually came out.

Remember it took 2 runs as Iron Man to get James Rhodes his solo shots. So view this as the second run (or third if you count both versions of Captain America & Falcon) and when Steve comes back-we can see a Falcon solo finally get a test run.

5 other POC have had multiple solo runs (Bishop, Cage, BP, Deathlok & Miles).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The thing is the majority of Falcon's solo and team up with other heroes stories are not in trade. Hard to build up a guy when no one can read solo stories about him. Same issue with Cyborg, John Stewart and others.

Aside from Miles-very few POC have their stories reprinted. Miles is the only POC to have all his stories in trades.

I would probably say Falcon as Capt was probably the only way Marvel could have a legit way to test solo stories with Falcon and ensure trades with these stories actually came out.

Remember it took 2 runs as Iron Man to get James Rhodes his solo shots. So view this as the second run (or third if you count both versions of Captain America & Falcon) and when Steve comes back-we can see a Falcon solo finally get a test run.

5 other POC have had multiple solo runs (Bishop, Cage, BP, Deathlok & Miles).
    But what about the recent media exposure for Cyborg, John Stewart, the Falcon and James Rhodes, Don't those count for anything at all ?

Especially the recent cinema exposure of the Falcon and James Rhodes, don't those count for something ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post

Who says he can't do some of the same things while being Cap? Steve has fought his fair share of street thugs in the past while still being somewhat of an international player. I'd like to see Sam get some of those opportunities and it wouldn't bother me seeing him do it as Cap. Besides, when know that this won't last and then the question becomes where does Sam go from there.

It did seem like odd timing, having Sam take up the mantle just as his stock seemed to be on a high from the movie. I don't mind it, but it felt like just yesterday since I was reading someone else as Captain America. The solo title's been great so far, but I understand some people wanting to learn about Sam as Falcon. Changing his role does radically change the essence of the character.

Astonishing Member

Who says he can't do some of the same things while being Cap? Steve has fought his fair share of street thugs in the past while still being somewhat of an international player. I'd like to see Sam get some of those opportunities and it wouldn't bother me seeing him do it as Cap. Besides, when know that this won't last and then the question becomes where does Sam go from there.
    More than likely his own solo series much like Bucky got.

i don't think he'll ever fully take off as captain america. most people in my local comic book shop have decided to call him "captain falcon" when someone bring him up.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    More than likely his own solo series much like Bucky got.
    That would be great if he can get a series out of this. I hope they build up a new rogues gallery for him while he's Cap. He really doesn't have any villains of his own. Or a supporting cast for that matter.

I love him as Cap, but I know that he'll eventually go back to being Falcon (likely after Secret Wars). My hope is that we get a relaunch of Captain America and Falcon. As long as they play it with him not as a sidekick, but as a character with equal billing, it should should be good. That or an obvious Falcon ongoing, but truthfully I feel it might not be able to sustain itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    I love him as Cap, but I know that he'll eventually go back to being Falcon (likely after Secret Wars). My hope is that we get a relaunch of Captain America and Falcon. As long as they play it with him not as a sidekick, but as a character with equal billing, it should should be good. That or an obvious Falcon ongoing, but truthfully I feel it might not be able to sustain itself.
    It really depends on how Sam comes out looking after his stint as Cap. They have to establish new threats for Sam, not Captain America, with a supporting cast ready to go. If they continue with him as leader of the Mighty Avengers, that helps his chances greatly.

It really depends on how Sam comes out looking after his stint as Cap. They have to establish new threats for Sam, not Captain America, with a supporting cast ready to go. If they continue with him as leader of the Mighty Avengers, that helps his chances greatly.
    Pretty much. My hope is that after this first arc, his supporting cast and rogues gallery is set up a bit. I understand using the mainstays for the opening arc, but if you want staying power, they're gonna have to give us something that isn't rooted so deeply with Steve. This is why I think a new Cap and Falcon book would work as an alternative if an ongoing doesn't. They just can't make him look like a sidekick. More Lethal Weapon would be the best route.