Page 5094 of 5186 FirstFirst ... 4094459449945044508450905091509250935094509550965097509851045144 ... LastLast
Results 76,396 to 76,410 of 77781

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    The ethnicity and gender of the writer is irrelevant to me especially as the BP scribe currently writing the mythos onto the proverbial ground, is an African-American.

All I want is for a writer who's actually interested writing T'challa and his world correctly, to come onboard on clean Coates taint off of this book.

Why Marvel stay unleashing these neophytes with an axe to grind at T'Challa's expense is beyond comprehension but whoever signed off on the blatant fanfiction Coates engaged in using the BP solo as a convenient platform to build a portfolio to go write an X-book, needs to be fired.
    Yeah I agree I don't necessarily care who the writer is in terms of race. But I still think Redjack is the best candidate if it must be a poc. But who was it mark Millar who expressed interest in writting BP as well?

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Which is probably the reason the only writer i've liked is Narcisse, and even then, you could tell he was 100% new to this.

Rembert's Kasper issue was fine. I liked Yona's Zenzi thing but the Crew was so bad and I'm not sure who wrote what there.

Coates is Coates. Roxanne is one of the worst comic writers i've ever suffered through, Covington had two issues and decided to write about some rando he made up, and Nnedi should have been giving Shuri book to write instead of forcing someone who REPEATEDLY said she likes to write african/black girl sci fi a T'challa book.

It is one thing to be a "meh" comic writer... it is another thing to be a meh comic writer AND not even like the main character lol.
    It's worse that the news about them wasn't "first female to write BP or. First gay writer to write BP. It was first black woman to write storm (Yona) and first queer woman to write book starring queer women (Gay). So right from the jump marvel was using BP as s prop for other black heroes instead of building him up to sustain consistency on his own mythos. His success all of a sudden meant every black hero should just jump into his world and they would automatically gain the same success.

Again Redjack is the hero we need

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    It was probably Alex Alonso, so that already happened. lol
    You know what.

I think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post

Again Redjack is the hero we need
    Add another vote for Redjack!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yeah I agree I don't necessarily care who the writer is in terms of race. But I still think Redjack is the best candidate if it must be a poc. But who was it mark Millar who expressed interest in writting BP as well?

I'd rather have the woman who cratered the America Chavez book than that overrated Scotsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    The ethnicity and gender of the writer is irrelevant to me especially as the BP scribe currently writing the mythos onto the proverbial ground, is an African-American.

All I want is for a writer who's actually interested writing T'challa and his world correctly, to come onboard on clean Coates taint off of this book.

Why Marvel stay unleashing these neophytes with an axe to grind at T'Challa's expense is beyond comprehension but whoever signed off on the blatant fanfiction Coates engaged in using the BP solo as a convenient platform to build a portfolio to go write an X-book, needs to be fired.
    You droppin' bars on this sir! Sometimes the weight of truth crushes!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    If you're going to get someone who never wrote comics before, at least get someone who likes BP and respects the work of the best writers who came before.

You don't just strip all that away because your own misguided interpretation of what you think BP and Wakanda are.
    I'm cool with that but i will take it one step further and say i wouldn't mind if said new writer didn't love BP like we do. If the writer brings high degree of mastery of craft and we could be assured of excellent, quality storylines involving BP I'd settle for that. Hell Priest is a good writer that wasn't a fanboy of T'challa and most of can testify to the solid work he put in. Like I mentioned before the whole issue sticks of higher ups paying lip service but not truly invested in BP being a top dog in the comics realm.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I'm cool with that but i will take it one step further and say i wouldn't mind if said new writer didn't love BP like we do. If the writer brings high degree of mastery of craft and we could be assured of excellent, quality storylines involving BP I'd settle for that. Hell Priest is a good writer that wasn't a fanboy of T'challa and most of can testify to the solid work he put in. Like I mentioned before the whole issue sticks of higher ups paying lip service but not truly invested in BP being a top dog in the comics realm.
    Was it a case of Priest not liking BP in particular or was it that he didn't wanted to be handed only Black characters to write?

I'd still want someone who likes BP and is interested in writing him. There's too much risk for BP to have someone write him who doesn't like him. Maberry did good in the beginning only to frak BP real bad in the end.

I don't think that's a risk we want to take again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Was it a case of Priest not liking BP in particular or was it that he didn't wanted to be handed only Black characters to write?

I'd still want someone who likes BP and is interested in writing him. There's too much risk for BP to have someone write him who doesn't like him. Maberry did good in the beginning only to frak BP real bad in the end.

I don't think that's a risk we want to take again.

He didn't like BP in particular because of how bad the character was used in Avengers before he started writing.

Correct. The whole "I only get black characters" thing happened somewhat later, and led to him basically retiring as a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    He didn't like BP in particular because of how bad the character was used in Avengers before he started writing.
    It's not BP himself but how he has been used over the years that was the problem then. T'Challa was written with that Noble Negro Syndrome for years prior to Priest.

You can't blame him for not liking that BP. None of us liked him.

And if he were being asked to write more of that, I wouldn't want to write him either.

Lucky for BP and us that it didn't turn out to be the case.

Too bad Coates is undoing all of that hard work Priest and Hudlin did to build BPs rep back up.

The thing is, a professional writer doesn't need to "like" the character. Indeed, a principle tenet of writing that I've heard more than once is "kill your darlings". If you are TOO fond of a character, you can sometimes make choices that, in the end, are detrimental to the story.

What a professional writer does, and what Priest did, is find a handle on the character they can use, and tell the best damn story they can. Not half-ass it so they can promote some personal or corporate agenda. In Priest's case, he used Ross to lampshade the fact that T'Challa had hidden depths nobody really understood, and he'd been underestimated because of this.

Now, whether you like Ross as a character or not, that was a BRILLIANT way to take a negative (BP had been a background character for years) and turn it to a strength. So much so that his portrayal, more than any other, came to define the character for a generation.

first off, thank you for the kind words.

the truth is "my" Black Panther remains too different from the way Coates has spun him for me to make a meaningful contribution to the MAIN title. In comics.

However I just spent nearly two years on this as Head Writer-Showrunner. Click it.

Attachment 68015

If you think you know what to expect, I promise you, you don't. this season is NOTHING like anything Marvel's Avengers has ever tried before. It's not the movie. it's not the comic. it's its own thing.

They haven't given a release date yet but, when it drops you will feel it.
    Last edited by Redjack; 07-08-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    The thing is, a professional writer doesn't need to "like" the character. Indeed, a principle tenet of writing that I've heard more than once is "kill your darlings". If you are TOO fond of a character, you can sometimes make choices that, in the end, are detrimental to the story.

What a professional writer does, and what Priest did, is find a handle on the character they can use, and tell the best damn story they can. Not half-ass it so they can promote some personal or corporate agenda. In Priest's case, he used Ross to lampshade the fact that T'Challa had hidden depths nobody really understood, and he'd been underestimated because of this.

Now, whether you like Ross as a character or not, that was a BRILLIANT way to take a negative (BP had been a background character for years) and turn it to a strength. So much so that his portrayal, more than any other, came to define the character for a generation.
    True, a writer can be professional and not like a character and still do a good job.

The problem we have is that we've had a lot of professional writers who didn't do their homework, when writing BP or they took more interest in ancillary characters at his expense instead of building up Panther.

The only agenda a writer should have in doing a solo character is doing the best job to make that character compelling nd leaving him in the same or better place than when he got there.

Despite people's issues with Hickman, he left BP with the status quo intact, no worse for wear. Same with Liss when he had a crappy premise. He left BP in a better spot.

Coates? I don't see how he resets BP or leaves him in a better spot. Unless he continues to ignore his own continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    first off, thank you for the kind words.

the truth is "my" Black Panther remains too different from the way Coates has spun him for me to make a meaningful contribution to the MAIN title. In comics.

However I just spent nearly two years on this as Head Writer-Showrunner. Click it.

Attachment 68015

If you think you know what to expect, I promise you, you don't. this season is NOTHING like anything Marvel's Avengers has ever tried before. It's not the movie. it's not the comic. it's its own thing.

They haven't given a release date yet but, when it drops you will feel it.
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to this.

Wish there was a way you could get a BP title, even if it's just a mini. We need something different.