Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Honestly... yeah?
    They are heavy hitters and the whole thing of "These Characters work alone" are said by People who don't really know the Character.
    Especially in the case of Spider-Man, there's no reason for him to be a loner.
    Wolverine at least has X-Men, so I guess Avengers doesn't need him as much.

But Spider-Man should have always been an Avenger on a rotating basis.

I'll fight anyone who thinks otherwise.
    You have plenty of people here to fight then lol Good luck!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    No. There have been great Avengers stories without them.

The Kree/Skrull War
    The Celestial Madonna
    The Korvac Saga
    The Bride of Ultron
    Operation Galactic Storm
    Under Siege
    Live Kree or Die
    The Gatherers
    Assault on Olympus
    The Trial of Wonder Man
    The Count Nefaria Trilogy
    Ultron Unlimited
    Kang Dynasty
    Avengers Forever
    Avengers-Defenders War
    Infinity
    The Saga of Wundagore Mountain
    No Way Home
    No Surrender
    Vision Quest
    Did any of these sell as well as Bendis' Avengers though?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I can't see why not. Team has to have different line-ups once in a while, and Spider-Man and Wolverine can add pretty fun and interesting dynamics. This whole mindset some people have, like ''Spider-Man has to be grounded, he's supposed to be street level'', ''Wolverine is a murderer and can't be part of the team'' is boring as hell, it's annoying.
    And Spider-Man is going to be the lead in Avengers 5 and Secret Wars anyways, so it's pretty much inevitable, that he will be brought back to the team at some point.
    Is he!? Ok. Not sure why in the MCU he would rank above other more experienced heroes but alright.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I’d rather see second stringers as Avengers. Like Cap’s kooky quartet was. Sure I loved the original Avengers but it’s nice to mix it up every now and then. Bendis used Spidey and Wolverine just to inflate sales to cover up his bad writing. I want to see a good writer and second stringers. Not the opposite.
    I think you can have A Listers and good writing. Shoot for the stars! lol

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Not at all. Wolverine and Spider-Man might be popular, sure, but in the years since the Bendis run they've become even more overly-saturated at Marvel. Adding them wouldn't be an act of bolstering the Avengers anymore, it'd be even more redundancy of those two characters. Additionally, you consider that in the years since the MCU happened and folks like Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, etc. are bigger stars, in both comics and public awareness, you don't need Wolverine and Spider-Man for any kind of Hail Mary play.

Besides, who really benefitted from it happening? The book might've sold better, sure, but neither of the characters ultimately benefitted from it. Cap and Iron Man needed films to become marquee figures for Marvel. And the rest...Luke Cage, Jessica Drew, Sentry...they've gone through the same cycle of failed series attempts they would have had Logan and Peter stayed away from the team. Very few boats were lifted by that particular rising tide.

EDIT: To answer the question about which two characters currently would bolster the Avengers books, I feel like Jean Grey would be one of them. I don't share the affection, but people effing LOVE Jean Grey. As for the other? Probably Venom, given how much saturation in the Mavel line we've seen with him.
    Hmm... interesting choice. I'd call her Phoenix though. You know, cause it sounds cooler.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Tell that to the Kooky quartet. They held their own against the heavy hitters. Yeah they had Cap but he was the only heavy hitter. Eyes on the book still falls on how good a writer is. Being a bad writer and having the movie stars on the team is going to sell books but it isn’t going to equate in good stories or good writing. A combination is fine as long as it is balanced and written well. Doesn’t anyone care about quality anymore?
    Yes. We all should.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPresley21 View Post
    I am not going to lie adding Wolverine & Spider-Man is what got me to pick up Avengers on a monthly bases still to this day. However with the current landscape of Marvel don't think they would help much at all. Not because of the star power but the bigger issue with Marvel Comics with constant brand wide cross over events that seem to happen monthly now, constant reboots and relaunches of titles that seem to happen damn near yearly and writers having hands tied because of said crossovers or if you use a A list star like Cap,Thor,Hulk,Iron Man,Spider-Man,Wolverine...ect you can do much as they have ongoing solo titles.

I think a possible way to improve the Avengers and to pick up sales would be actually not having those characters I just listed on the title and going the Uncanny Avengers route of a mix of old school Avengers and adding in some X-Men who have long sense should have been used in the bigger MU outside of the X-Men side of things. I am think of characters like Gambit,Iceman,Jean Grey,Nightcrawler,Colossus and even using Beast once again.

Just spitballing but maybe a roster of Beast,Black Widow,Colossus,Hercules,Nightcrawler & Wonder Man could be a nice mix.Also including one of the Avengers Academy kids on a major stage on the main team could add some freshness.
    The end of that first paragraph has been said of other teams such as the Justice League. That's why some writers focused on the other characters more such as Martian Manhunter, Plastic Man,etc.

That sounds like the 70's Defenders or Champions teams lol Not saying it's bad though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
    Lol By who?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Hmm... interesting choice. I'd call her Phoenix though. You know, cause it sounds cooler.
    She is going to be Phoenix again now. Got her own book coming up.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Frankly, I never thought they added anything to the Avengers, so 'no'.

Id add Silk and Daken instead of Peter and Logan.

Agreed about Cindy, but I'd go with Laura for Wolverine. Daken, like Logan, isn't really a team player.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm sure some of them did at some point.

What really matters is that they were all good stories that didn't need to have Spider-Man or Wolverine in them.

Yes. Some actually sold much more. Different metrics, though.

Peace

I don't know how bad Avengers sales are. Granted, I'm not currently reading because the modern lineups seems always very MCU dictated.

If Spidey and Logan are given a better role then the wallpaper they were during Bendis's run then I might be interested. And Spidey has never really been a "loner" since the Marvel Team-Up book was first published.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"