Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
Hm.
Not sure if we should give Marvel this much credit. But, if we consider all of Warren's history since he sprouted his wings, I think he had literally tried every way and venue. He started when the mutants were accepted and considered like other superheroes of the era, he was there when the tide turned, he was in front line when the first attempt to wipe them happened (= sentinels), he had his attempt at "normal" superhero twice (Champions and Defenders), he had a role in the X-Factor fiasco (an attempt to both appease the general public and save mutants at the same time, which we know backfired spectacularly) and was even acclaimed hero when he still was wearing Apocalypse's colors. He also did try to keep some relations with governments (when he temporarily was the face of mutants and addressed the UE parliament) and even worked together with the San Francisco's major. Oh, and as First Class, he basically started his career when the X-Men still interfaced with a government agent.
X-Men Forever is a mess, but in this Claremont was right, when he put in Nick Fury's a comment about the X-Men who hide in the shadow and do whatever they want uncaring for any sort of law (so Fury needed to stay with them to keep them on check). We readers know the X-Men are good, but even superheroes should abide to some law. I think the Avengers have some government clearing or what. X-Men cross borders and fly their blackbirds wherever they feel, with no respect for sovereignty.

We know that the MU is lived by bigots who never learn from their mistakes nor they evolve. But in a more realistic world... well, how do you (mutants) hope to gain respect when your frontline team acts like a groups of renegades? When literally the difference between "benevolent superpowered who save the world" and "uberpowered people set on conquering the world" depends on just these X-Men's very ethics - and it just needs a telepath or a magic spell to turn them from heroes to villains?
I mean, one of the core definitions of X-Men is "a band of outlawed heroes". Which says enough, IMHO.
Hm, sorry, I digressed. And I might've sparked Civil War Steve/Tony 2.0. :lol:

I think, as a billionaire owning an enterprise, Warren must have come to know how to work on the tiny balance between law and well, not law. So he might want to try the "law" way, in an attempt to prove that mutants can work with the law and can be as respectable as the Avengers without being an Avengers team or being babysat by Steve Rogers.
I think most of the MU people (right or wrong) have come to associate mutants to outlaws superpowered people who don't abide to any law and essentially do what they want unchecked. And Warren might want to fight that prejudice.
Also, let's not forget that during Krakoa-era, mutants established that "they policed their own", going so far as to expect a mutant who committed a crime in, say, Seattle, would be handed over to Krakoa for judgment. It makes not for good publicity, IMHO, because it suggests that law isn't fair and mutants don't bother with human laws (laws made by people elected through democratic means). X-Factor could be the reply to this: not a full-mutant team policing mutants on the basis on some mutant-law, but a full-mutant team working like any other superhero team, with government ties to validate it, and abiding to human-made law.

IDK if what I wrote made sense.

Another hypothesis could be that, seen the whole Orchis thing, Warren might want to be closer to the government to be in a place to avoid a new Orchis to happen?
Sorry for my late response to this. I thought that this post was about Warren/Candy/Dazzler thing.

Your post makes sense.

Basically, in this scenario Warren chooses to join the government to prove that all mutants aren't outlaws that have to be feared. That there is more than one way to fight for mutant rights, and that everyone doesn't have to follow the X-Men way.

So Angel and the others may be trying to position themselves as role models, and not just celebrities.