Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Id be in. All in. I don't have an issue with the cast, but this name. On the nose, enough?
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    And any of those as well as many others can be the premise for a team comprised of black mutants.

There's no reason why they can't form a team.
    Never said they can't, I said that for the examples you mentioned they never came out of the blue but had prior developed before becoming a team

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    I'm afraid that Bishop isn't of African descent - he is Australian Aboriginal, like Gateway and Manifold. (in fact, I believe he's Gateway's grandson)

People from Australia are genetically and most importantly, HIGHLY culturally different, even from a post-colonial perspective, from Afro or Afro-american people.

I get that it makes sense at first glance to put him on the team, but if it's all about the sort of experience that would come with, say, a team-book with only Afro-American members, then he doesn't fit.
    Australians Aboriginals often do consider themselves Black and faced colonization and genocide from the white Europeans in a horrific manner that continues to this day.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Listen, I wouldn’t necessarily want to read a book comprised of one race or gender - but the lineup is pretty cool.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Considering all the controversy surrounding BP and the Crew and the low sales that generated the cancellation do not think it's a good idea.
    Black Panther the Crew on Amazon

Sales-
    Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #7,217 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
    #34 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #42 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    Black Panther: World of Wakanda

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,256 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
    #5 in Books > Teens > Literature & Fiction > Comics & Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #20 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #22 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    Amazon buyers would disagree with you and these were numbers before the movie came out.

How many all white X-lineups have there been?
    It does not matter how many lineups of whites there have been. That book will NEVER be judged on skin color, The focus will be on STORY and STORY only.

You could say the same for all female and any other race (as DC has an All Asian Superman & Justice League book that no one questions) except blacks.

As we have seen here-the focus has been on the FOLLOWING-

Why are they together? Something we have constantly see asked from McDuffie's JLA to even having more than 2 blacks together in a scene-it gets QUESTIONED and it needs to be JUSTIFIED.

It's never about story content. Because no one bothers to read it first but takes issue with who is on the cover.

It is a double standard as butterflykyss said.

And this "all they are going to do is help black folks and that is racist" mess. Gee how many times does Batman, Superman, WW, Flash, all the X-Men, Peter, Steve Rogers, Hal Jordan, Green Arrow, Dr Strange, Thor, Bruce Banner, Avengers and so many all white teams head to the hood? Interact with blacks BEYOND racism stories (looking at YOU Clark Kent). Heck Blacks in Gotham don't fear Batman because he stays out of the hood.

Yet how many nonblacks have Steel, Static, John Stewart, Storm, Panther, War Machine, Moon Girl, Riri Williams, Jason Rusch, Blade, Prowler, Rocket Racer, Miles Morales, Synch, Spawn, Savage Dragon (the son is half black). Brother Voodoo, Vixen and Luke Cage helped?

An all black team can help whoever they want. If the writer does his or her job right and understands the task at hand.

When you show balance the book could be successful. If you are trying to toss out an agenda-of get back at white folks-you will FAIL.

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Never said they can't, I said that for the examples you mentioned they never came out of the blue but had prior developed before becoming a team
    There were only two people that you mentioned and they were not working together prior to forming any team.

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Also most of those predominantly white book (lots of Jewish and gays tough) have casts with prior histories and established relationships so it makes sense for them to work together
    And a predominately black or POC team hasn't really had the opportunity.

I think it'd be neat to see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    And a predominately black or POC team hasn't really had the opportunity.

I think it'd be neat to see.
    new mutants begun as predominantly POC
    Native American, Vietnamese, Brazilian black
    the white ones were Cannonball and Rahne, and even then they were far from privileged.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    new mutants begun as predominantly POC
    Native American, Vietnamese, Brazilian black
    the white ones were Cannonball and Rahne, and even then they were far from privileged.
    That lasted how many issues?
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Embracing her blackness and being among people who share her culture isn't segregation, it's pride and love of one's self. She can do that and still fight for the benefit of all humans and mutants alike. That is what makes her exceptional.
    So much yes, here. It always surprises me how the very idea of diversity and inclusion tends to upset folks. Like others have pointed out we have had all white or majority white X-men teams for years. The idea of a majority of minority characters X-men team should not be seen as controversial or be seen as segregation (though some conservatives float this very idea).

One of my favorite diverse X-teams was Claremont's X-treme X-men team (Storm, Bishop, Thunderbird, Sage, etc). Others mentioned the original New Mutant's team as another classic example.

Comics should reflect the diversity of the world we live in. If your immediate "world" is not diverse then I recommend travel.
    Last edited by MechaJeanix; 02-24-2018 at 08:18 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    why respectfully ?
    It is a fact. I don't live in US.
    My "ill informed responses when it comes to race relations in the US" are actually correct when we talk about whole world.

and... My country suffered in second world war more than any other. My country suffered terribly before second world war also.
    We have lower income, living conditions than west europe.
    Should I hate Germans because their grandfathers attacked my country and killed my grandfathers?
    obviously no

You wrote that they are white. I don't think that this is correct.

well... you know... that harlem activist gave suggestion that this book (crew) would be focused on race of blacks.
    I agree with you.

Spain ruled the Philppines for about 3 centuries then we were ruled by the japanese, then by the americans , before.

But we dont get mad at what they did but it doesnt mean it was ok for us of what they did, it's just that, it's something i dont wanna dwell on cos that will just make my life miserable thinking these, spanish, japanese and american people have hurt/killed my ancestors. Besides, y would i get mad to them when it wasnt them who did it but their great grandfathers?

Instead i dwell on what we got from them, like culture and other things, filipinos wouldnt have an english subject nor have english communication skills if they didnt come.

And look at the african americans, you are in a very powerful country, have better privileges and opportunities too. Thats why there are already a lot of successful black actresses, music artists and a lot of black characters in different mediums too.

Do you think, MJ, Halle, Beyonce, Angela, etc would have been successful or as successful as if they werent african americans? Do you think nba would be heavily played by a lot of african american players?

But how about us in the philippines? Still a third world country, does anybody even know any filipino celebrity? maybe people know manny pacquiao or sharon cuneta, etc. But i know a lot of african americans. Even my favorite comic character of all is Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I agree with you.

Spain ruled the Philppines for about 3 centuries then we were ruled by the japanese, then by the americans , before.

But we dont get mad at what they did but it doesnt mean it was ok for us of what they did, it's just that, it's something i dont wanna dwell on cos that will just make my life miserable thinking these, spanish, japanese and american people have hurt/killed my ancestors. Besides, y would i get mad to them when it wasnt them who did it but their great grandfathers?

Instead i dwell on what we got from them, like culture and other things, filipinos wouldnt have an english subject nor have english communication skills if they didnt come.

And look at the african americans, you are in a very powerful country, have better privileges and opportunities too. Thats why there are already a lot of successful black actresses, music artists and a lot of black characters in different mediums too.

Do you think, MJ, Halle, Beyonce, Angela, etc would have been successful or as successful as if they werent african americans? Do you think nba would be heavily played by a lot of african american players?

But how about us in the philippines? Still a third world country, does anybody even know any filipino celebrity? maybe people know manny pacquiao or sharon cuneta, etc. But i know a lot of african americans. Even my favorite comic character of all is Storm.
    Tila Tequila
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Tila Tequila
    She was born in Singapore.

Also, he said “celebrity”, not “high-profile train wreck”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I agree with you.

Some of your history is wrong. Up until 1898, Spain ruled the Philippians. It was ceded to the US following the Spanish-American war. The native Philippine's thought we were going to give them independence like what we did to Cuba. Apparently Pres. William McKinley had other idea's. McKinley sent troops to put down the filipino insirection, which lasted until 1900. American's were in charge, until the end of 1941/begining of 1942 when the Japanese occupied.MacArthur reclaimed the Phillippines in late 1944/early 1945. President Harry Truman granted The Philippines independence on July 4, 1946.

I propose a better team:

Sunspot (leader)
    Bishop
    Monet
    Prodigy
    Cipher
    Oya

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Racism is so oudated and not a book seller. Sexism is the cash cow now. the all women book sell a 26 issues run.
    Please learn what racism is before making comments like this.