Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    I am a character guy. I value arcs that focus on growth. The only real critique I have is that Jed is to focused on events that drive the characters. Can someone, anyone explain why the Avengers should care about king's missing time? Why is Kang driving a plot where the Avengers fell like guest stars in their own book?
    Exactly! There is no reason the Avengers should care about that especially as it is likely to mean that Kang will have some new means of causing distruction. I love Storm. I love that she is rejoining the Avengers as she only had about roughly five minutes to be an Avenger the forst go around. I want to see her interact with all these different characters that we rarely see her interact with especially with the Black Panther. But more Kang nonsense? Sorry, but this storyline has gone on for far too long.

I am a character guy. I value arcs that focus on growth. The only real critique I have is that Jed is to focused on events that drive the characters. Can someone, anyone explain why the Avengers should care about king's missing time? Why is Kang driving a plot where the Avengers fell like guest stars in their own book?
    Most of the time, villains drive the plot of the story. There was a great FF run, from around 195-#200 where all they did was react to whatever Doom was doing and it wasn't until the last few pages of the arc where they finally got the upper hand.

As far as the Kang story goes, Kang is vying with another character named Myrddin for a missing piece of time because it holds the key to something greater. Myrddin has the Twilight Court hunt for this piece and they prove too much for Kang to handle. So Kang needs help and figures that the only team he knows that could possibly overcome Myrddin and the Twilight Court are the Avengers.

It's a classic story. Doom did the same thing with the FF where he used them to reclaim his kingdom after he was overthrown by a group of freedom fighters led by the descendants of the prior ruler. The leader of the freedom fighters became corrupt over a period of time and Doom forced the FF to remove the usurper.

I am a character guy. I value arcs that focus on growth. The only real critique I have is that Jed is to focused on events that drive the characters. Can someone, anyone explain why the Avengers should care about Kang's missing time? Why is Kang driving a plot where the Avengers feel like guest stars in their own book? Like everything they are facing has nothing to do with them but more about reacting to needing to protect him. I still don't even understand why they are doing that.
    Kang is an old enemy of the Avengers and his search for the missing moment has consequences in the modern day. Even if it currently is just the Ashen Combine and the Twilight court attacking with Earth.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    Exactly! There is no reason the Avengers should care about that especially as it is likely to mean that Kang will have some new means of causing distruction. I love Storm. I love that she is rejoining the Avengers as she only had about roughly five minutes to be an Avenger the forst go around. I want to see her interact with all these different characters that we rarely see her interact with especially with the Black Panther. But more Kang nonsense? Sorry, but this storyline has gone on for far too long.
    I agree it's so frustrating because none of the characters have really voices any reason as to why they care about protecting him or why that missing time matters to them. I need to see a larger character arc that actually pushed the team toward something. This Kang plot ain't doing it.
    Last edited by OG Storm; 05-15-2024 at 12:27 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Most of the time, villains drive the plot of the story. There was a great FF run, from around 195-#200 where all they did was react to whatever Doom was doing and it wasn't until the last few pages of the arc where they finally got the upper hand.

As far as the Kang story goes, Kang is vying with another character named Myrddin for a missing piece of time because it holds the key to something greater. Myrddin has the Twilight Court hunt for this piece and they prove too much for Kang to handle. So Kang needs help and figures that the only team he knows that could possibly overcome Myrddin and the Twilight Court are the Avengers.

It's a classic story. Doom did the same thing with the FF where he used them to reclaim his kingdom after he was overthrown by a group of freedom fighters led by the descendants of the prior ruler. The leader of the freedom fighters became corrupt over a period of time and Doom forced the FF to remove the usurper.
    I am aware of the plot. I just think there are some character beats missing that help connect the characters to the plot and show why they are doing this. Right now we aren't getting that. I just think the why is the most important part to really move a story forward. It's been a year and we still don't even have kang's why apart from ego. How are they going to improve and grow? What impact is this info going to have on them?

What made x-men red great was that storm and genesis had two very different goals and philosophies from the beginning and they were fighting to show which side was going to help their respective people better. We have none of that in this story.
    Last edited by OG Storm; 05-15-2024 at 12:23 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Yeah, it's weird that so many people are against this when this move gives Storm even more exposure. She's an X-Man, an Avenger and has a solo. Another version of her is in the Ultimate line. Things are definitely looking up for her.
    my good friend it's only weird if you aren't aware of what drives these sentiments. from.what I've seen they seem stuck in the past during the AvX days. this should be nothing but celebrated for those who love the character for the points you've made.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

All you can ask for is the opportunity for your favorite character to be used. Once that happens you hope that they are being handled properly and consistently with their characters and powersets. And it helps to remember that there will be times in a team book setting that members will not always be used to full capacity but that each will get a moment to shine.

We all just hope that no one gets dogged out.
    this thid and this!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I agree it's so frustrating because none of the characters have really voices any reason as to why they care about protecting him or why that missing time matters to them. I need to see a larger character arc that actually pushed the team toward something. This Kang plot ain't doing it.
    They are only protecting him because he has information they need because a bunch of unknown disasters are going to happen.

The Avengers obviously want to be prepared and want info on the people they have to fight to protect the world.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    They are only protecting him because he has information they need because a bunch of unknown disasters are going to happen.

The Avengers obviously want to be prepared and want info on the people they have to fight to protect the world.
    I missed that part.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    my good friend it's only weird if you aren't aware of what drives these sentiments. from.what I've seen they seem stuck in the past during the AvX days. this should be nothing but celebrated for those who love the character for the points you've made.
    It's still weird. Hating that a character you like will appear on a team were they will get more exposure is weird. I can see if they're being written ooc by a writer notorious for bad writing but Jed McKay doesn't have that rep and the book isn't even out yet.

Mighty Member

It's still weird. Hating that a character you like will appear on a team were they will get more exposure is weird. I can see if they're being written ooc by a writer notorious for bad writing but Jed McKay doesn't have that rep and the book isn't even out yet.
    It's the Avengers. I value more than exposure. I value a narrative and character growth. Those things have been lacking there.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I missed that part.
    Its the Tribulation Events the primary story-thread for the book, a sequence of massive disasters that will occur in the future as apart of Kang and Myrddin's quest to attain their desire. The Ashen Combine, a group of interdimensional conquerors was the first of them and were the antagonists for the first arc of the book.

The Avengers have been picked to be Kang's champions against their will and they want to keep him alive cause he's the only one who knows whats happening as they are unfortunately fighting in the dark against these bizarre events threatening Earth.

Amazing Member

Agreed Although I was buying it regardless of which of the X-Men Mackay and Brevoort drafted to the A team.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yupp. It might be too high-concept and slow burn for sure...but I'm enjoying that it's a main plot simmering on the back burner while the side dishes are being prepared, with the chef waiting for the just right moment to add the signature herbs and spices and bring it to a boil.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Kang doesn't even has a connection the Avengers anymore since he bailed on them. The story got a lot bigger as well since Wanda and Thor had a chat with Nightmare.

"This is me being reasonable"